My black Moor, Bart is 8 years old and I can’t work out what’s wrong with him

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feebs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My black Moor, Bart is 8 years old and I can’t work out what’s wrong with him

Hi everyone !
I’m so glad I found this page. I’m very excited to be here.

However I come with sad news.
My black Moor, Bart is 8 years old and I can’t work out what’s wrong with him.
He’s always been very happy and healthy - I’ve tri d to get him fish friends before but he’s a savage and eats them.

Anyway, for the last 3 days he’s been on side side on the bottom of the tank.
I immediately cleaned the tank and changed the water and checked all levels - all normal.
I feared swim bladder so I haven’t fed him - tried to feed him peas but he eats them off my finger but then spits them out - same with his normal food.
Every now and again he tried to swim but can’t get off the bottom. It’s heartbreaking.
I then noticed his tail was looking a little scraggly so I’ve been to the vets and added in treatment for fin rot.

When he’s struggling I help him up to he middle of the tank and let him go and he swims off fast but diagonally downwards.

I made him a little harness on a ping pong ball so he can have ‘swim time’ so he doesn’t have to be on the bottom all the time and he gently flaps about and swims around in the harness.

I don’t know what else to do :/

Please help. X

Hi delapool.

Bart died Unfortunately a day after I posted this :/
I’m very sad, I’d had him for 8 years !!
Loved him.

But I’m not sure what else I could have done.
He just stopped moving in the afternoon and that was it.

Moved to the FW sick fish forum. You`ll get more and better answers here at the FW forums. Maybe someone can still tell us why he died.

Black moor's have a wide lifespan range of 6-25 years. Could have just been genetics?? And nothing wrong on your part.

I was hoping that might be why!

But he didn't float though.. or do fish not necessarily float when they pass from natural causes? :huh::ermm:

Sounded like swim bladder issues....but like us humans when we expire we can get all sorts of issues before the end.

Back
Top Bottom