Hello. Another newbie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nick.turitto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am new to the forum (hence this post)
I have only been into the saltwater scene for a few months now but I grew up with freshwater aquariums so I have a general knowledge for that.

I started this spring with a 10 gallon tank I bought from a friend who was upgrading. Within a few months I felt the need to upgrade myself after finding my old 29 gallon in my parent's attic.

So I have had that set up for a while now with really no problems!!

I currently have a maroon clown, 2 lyretail chromis, 1 3-stripe damsel, 1 north atlantic urchin, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 chocolate chip star, 1 serpent star, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 emerald crab, and an assortment of snails and hermit crabs.
Although I am always looking for more cool things to add. Hopefully some coral in the near future.

I guess my biggest concern now is getting better lighting, although I am not really wanting to spend alot since my wife is less than thrilled with how much I have already spent!!

Anyway, I hope to get some advice on a bunch of things here and it seems like that won't be a problem after looking around the site.

See you all later!!

Nick

First welcome ^^
lighting is really depend on if u r gonna add coral later on, and if u can, save more money and get a better one.

"As long as you dont want to go with a hugely SPS coral aquarium, then it is fine. This light, Nova T5HO 156W 36" long one would allow you to keep mostly any coral, however SPS would need to be placed very close to the top. It stays a lot cooler then Metal Halides and is more efficient.
Their is also this slightly more expensive but also more powerful model that would allow more places for SPS.
Nova Extreme 234W" (quote from AMD)
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X39 Watt, 36 inch this is a little cheaper site that have 234W free shipping*

how old is your 29gal, cuz anemone need a more mature tank, but if u have no problem right now, then u r good, just keep your eyes on the para.

I have been told my 46gal is too small for newbie to saltwater aquarium.
Suggested to get the biggest that I can get if I m going for reef. at least 55 if my memory didn't get worse.
since small tank= more care on water para.
but seem like u r doing pretty good, so u probably don't need to worry about the size ^^

welcome to AA and saltwater aquarium.

Thanks for the advice match55. To be honest, i'm not sure if my tank is mature enough for the anemone. some days he looks great, some days he's shriveled up. who knows. i do watch all my parameters closely. thanks also for the links to those lights.
Very helpful

I wasn't ready for coral yet, but some star polyps r found on one of my LR, so I have to do my best to keep the para good too XD
I m saving money on the light as well ^^
glad I can help.
(wahaha AMD gave me the link hehehe)

Welcome to AA !! Just remember take it slow .With a small tank when you add livestock paramaters change very rapidly ..... GOOD LUCK ..
........................HAPPY REEFING....................

Welcome to AA !! Just remember take it slow .With a small tank when you add livestock paramaters change very rapidly ..... GOOD LUCK ..
........................HAPPY REEFING....................

agree, and don't put them all at once OoO.
suggested 1 after cycle and wait for a week or so to add a little bit more.
you need to give time the bacteria to mature, so they can balance the nirate lvl.

if you put all at once, they nirate lvl will raise like crazy if your bacteria is not mature yet.
^^

Back
Top Bottom