Hello! Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batkitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself.

Horses are my biggest hobby, but I've really missed my aquarium and have decided that I'm finally getting another. I had one for around 5 years, just a 10 gallon which was a pain, but I made it work. After my husband and I made our last move the fish slowly died off. I just couldn't get it to work right. So I gave up. Now, 8 years later, I want my aquarium back.

I made my Christmas gift request that I get one. I'll be getting it before Christmas, fortunately. I want a 29-40 gallon and I'm still deciding from there. But I'm leaning towards a planted tank with cardinal tetras and whatever fish can live with them. I still have lots of research to do. I'm still relearning. I know nothing yet of fishless cycling.

So I hope to learn lots!

Hey! Welcome!

A planted cardinal tank is always refreshing :p. Also a good thing you started researching before you got your tank (which is how alot of us end up here) I'd suggest making a list of things you want for your tank (specifically), or you might end up with one of those wal-mart starter kits, which you'll end up replacing everything except the tank anyways.

Two things you might want to eventually consider, is better lighting and pressurized co2, and pmdd ferts, although 29-40 is diyable, pressurized makes life easy :p

Fishless cycling is just adding ammonia, to get your nitrogen cycle running. There are three steps (5 if you want to be picky). The ones in the middle are converted by your bacteria. Every step, the nitrogen becomes less toxic to the fish, and nitrates are pretty stable. From a chemistry standpoint, I want to say bacteria take out energy and therefore make it more stable/less toxic.

fish poop>ammonia>nitrites>nitrates>plant nutrients

Here's a list of thing you'll need

Tank
Heater
Filter
Light
Thermometer
Gravel Vacuum (siphon)
test kit
substrate
plants*
fish*
co2*
ferts*
co2 drop checker* (check levels of co2 in the water)

If you give me your budget (estimated since it's a gift :p) I can try to rig up a possible setup for you, and alot of this stuff you can add later. The *'s are optional, or plant related.

hi there welcome to AA! a 29 gallon to 40g is a good starting tank size. tetras are also goos starting fish as they are good looking fish and reletivly easy to care for. a fishless cycle is your tank running with out any fish in it to get your water perameters in check. for me it is simple, set up a tank wait a week add fish a few at a time. but it depends on your water quality where you live. tetras can be with many fish. try and keep them in odd numbers as they like schooling. maybe a pleco and a small catfish would be ok. a rainbow or redtial shark wouls be good as well but just one, and they need a larger tank than 40 gallons, so if you get one of those sharks plan on upgrading. hope this helps, and agian, these are just my thoughts and likings, have fun starting the hobby up agian!

Thank you all! I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I was used to glass tanks. Now I see all these other kinds, acrylic, etc. What is recommended?

Krap101 - We're hoping to get started for under $300, but truthfully, I don't even know if this is reasonable? After looking at all the stuff I would need I was gettting estimates that was a very wide range. My dad is building my stand. So as soon as I get my tank or an idea of the dimensions he'll start building.

Thanks again!

Glass is heavier, but scratches less easily. Acrylic is lighter, but after while, it may yellow, and turn white (scratches). Glass is more likely to shatter (don't hit it with a baseball bat...) plastic tanks are like under 5 gallons, like those spongebob tanks.

I don't like suggesting off brand things, because if something goes wrong, but about a month ago I bought a canister filter after reading good review after good review. It's a chinese brand that makes some of the marineland stuff, and I'm going to try to make a budget with this or a larger HOB (hang on back) filter

Tank ~120$
Filter $40-60 (my filter cost $54 shipped, I'll link the stuff later)
heater ~25
Gravel Vac <$10
Thermometer ~$3
Light (depending on what you get) $30-150 (more if you want :p)
Test kit ~$18
Substrate <$20(turface if you can find it, otherwise pool filter sand)

The rest you can add later, and the substrate you can buy after you get the tank, but I think this is mostly within budget.

here's a few reviews of the filter
SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test - Aquaria Central
My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302

Depending on the size of the tank, here are the two hob's I'd recommend. You could go with the big one, or two smaller ones
Aquaclear 70 Power Filter - Filters - Power Filters at BigalsOnline
Aquaclear 50 Power Filter - Filters - Power Filters at BigalsOnline

I'm unsure of the heater, since it seems the newer ones are really crappy versions of the old ones

A co2 system should run you about 120-150 if you shop around. I got a 5 pound co2 tank and a solenoid/regulator etc for 130 (65 for the tank etc), but that came come later, or you can run 2-3 yeast bottles (change every 2-3 weeks I think, depending on the formula)

Turface is a fired clay gravel that is used for baseball diamond drainage, and you can find it at most agricultural supply stores. I'm not sure how it is in texas though.

If you can get a 40 gallon breeder, I think that's probably the most popular tank of that size (huge footprint, but not as high). I think 29 gallon and 40 gallon are relatively close in price (I think it's like 105 vs 130 or so).

Back
Top Bottom