Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to the forum. I did three fish in cycles with TSS in my three ten gal tanks, a year and a half ago. I also don't have much in the way of patience. The fish were all fine and I followed the directions to the letter. I have currently upgraded one 10 gal to a 20 gal, and will be closing down the other to tens. I have a 29 gal ready to go as soon as hubby finishes recovering from shoulder surgery and can lift the tank. So I will end up with one 10 for a qt tank and will probably sell or give the other two away. I think the two bigger tanks will be easier for me to handle. I also have 3 small plecos and also have recently bought a koi angel fish who will go in the 29 when it is set up. It is a fun hobby and I have kept fish on and off for 60 years and will be 70 this year.. Alison

Old 12-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Alison! My plan WAS to use my current cycled 10g as a QT/HT, but my daughters guppy Bubbles may have ruined that for me and I may end up having to get an additional tank for that plan. Yesterday, we took the 5 neons and Bubbles from the 10g and placed them in the 55g with the 10 cardinals. The neons immediately schooled with the cardinals and have been doing great. However, Bubbles is insane... He was named Bubbles because he LOVES to chase and pop the air bubbles from the air pump. The 55g has a 4ft bubble wall all along the back of the tank. So...when we moved him, he went crazy chasing all the bubbles to the point of exhaustion. At first, it was funny watching this little guppy playing with and darting through the air bubbles...but after about an hour of that, he started looking drained. I waited another hour and he had gotten even worse. He's obsessed with those danged bubbles! So we moved him back to the 10g. Not sure what to do with him now...was planning on heading to my LFS this week to get some more fish, but now I don't have a QT for them :smack:

Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Lol, I love where you mention being judged for fish-in cycling.... To be honest, I have respect for people who do fish-in cycling. It is WAY more work and way more nerve-wracking, at least to me. I fishless cycle because I'd rather be lazy and I'm a nervous wreck about hurting fish So, props!

As for the bubbles thing, we have an angelfish in our 55 who did the same thing with the outflow from an air-driven sponge filter when we put him in there. He ended up ok and stopped doing it around two weeks later.

Oh, and your tank is beautiful, and welcome to AA!
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
Lol, I love where you mention being judged for fish-in cycling.... To be honest, I have respect for people who do fish-in cycling. It is WAY more work and way more nerve-wracking, at least to me. I fishless cycle because I'd rather be lazy and I'm a nervous wreck about hurting fish So, props!

As for the bubbles thing, we have an angelfish in our 55 who did the same thing with the outflow from an air-driven sponge filter when we put him in there. He ended up ok and stopped doing it around two weeks later.

Oh, and your tank is beautiful, and welcome to AA!
Lol yeah, well a lot of people consider it a sin to fish-in cycle...I was on another forum first and they were extremely rude and vulgar about it. I have the patience for fishless, but I also have the time for fish-in and an amazing LFS to help me figure things out. With the 10g, I knew nothing about cycling and got everything from a big chain store. The goldfish were just lucky to live as long as they did because I kept up on their tiny tank I guess. Before them, the only fish I ever had were 2 koi angels someone gave me when I was about 7. Those two lived for 10 years in a filthy 10g and they were about as tall as the tank once they reached full grown. They even had eggs in there all the time but always ate them. After learning everything I've learned this year, I can't believe those angels lived at all!
What got me researching cycling and water parameters and such was our one guppy (not Bubbles, but the one that died) was acting strange. Eventually I figured everything out and managed to keep all the other fish alive...though I'm nearly certain he died from being bullied by Bubbles. He had chuncks missing from his fins like someone was nipping at him and he was the only one. Plus, I always saw Bubbles chasing him. At first, i thought he was sick so that's how I got into the forums and such and stumbled upon all the water parameter info. Glad I did too! Having one small tank just made me want a big one.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. And thank you for the welcome!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com