Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishayFishay View Post
Hey man, noticed you said you're gonna get some wild rocks. Before you put them in the tank you should pour some vinegar to make sure their safe. If they fizz they can cause a no no in your tank. I would boil them also but be careful because that can lead to them exploding.
Thank you. I've read about that, I'll make sure their safe before I add them or anything to the aquarium.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your plans sound great. Have fun with it. Depending on where you are in CA, you can cut your own manzanita, clean and peal it for driftwood. Better to use dead pieces, but if you cut it live age it until it is really really dried out. Just be careful that it hasn't been spayed with anything. And watch out for ticks!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Your plans sound great. Have fun with it. Depending on where you are in CA, you can cut your own manzanita, clean and peal it for driftwood. Better to use dead pieces, but if you cut it live age it until it is really really dried out. Just be careful that it hasn't been spayed with anything. And watch out for ticks!
Is that a common use for driftwood? There's manzanita everywhere around where I'll be. Especially dead already, I'll give that a try too, that'd look great amongst the planted side. How exactly do you make sure it's safe, just boil it for like a whole day??
Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalSoldier View Post
Is that a common use for driftwood? There's manzanita everywhere around where I'll be. Especially dead already, I'll give that a try too, that'd look great amongst the planted side. How exactly do you make sure it's safe, just boil it for like a whole day??

You can boil it for a couple hours to get all the tannins and stuff out. Some people will dry the would in the sun for a day or bake it to be extra careful.

Caleb
Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What Caleb said

Besides being very pretty in the aquarium, there are fewer tannins in manzanita than some other woods. It is one of the more favored woods for aquarium use.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #16

Alrighty then, looks like I'll have to add that to my list then. I'll probably boil it and then bake it to be sure. Same with the rocks.

I think I'm going to change my substrate too, I've heard sand is good for a planted aqauirium, I kind of want to mix sand, and my current substrate together. I've seen that really dark stuff, where do you guys find it at?
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Alrighty then, looks like I'll have to add that to my list then. I'll probably boil it and then bake it to be sure. Same with the rocks.

I think I'm going to change my substrate too, I've heard sand is good for a planted aqauirium, I kind of want to mix sand, and my current substrate together. I've seen that really dark stuff, where do you guys find it at?

No no not rocks. Ever heard of river rocks exploding around campfires? Don't want to take that risk. Just give it a good scrub in the sink and it will be fine.

Caleb
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM   #18

How about just a low heat bake? less than 200 degrees, maybe 170 to kill anything that might be on it?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How about just a low heat bake? less than 200 degrees, maybe 170 to kill anything that might be on it?

A rock is a rock. I've taken rocks straight from the lake in my backyard, a couple hours of scrubbing off crud in the sick and never had a problem. Leaving the baking for driftwood.

Caleb
Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
A rock is a rock. I've taken rocks straight from the lake in my backyard, a couple hours of scrubbing off crud in the sick and never had a problem. Leaving the baking for driftwood.

Caleb
Okay sounds good!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com