hello everybody!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SignalSoldier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My name Jaime and I'm new to this hobby. I've always had a fascination with small ecosystems and self sustaining environments though which is the reason I'm now getting into this!

After doing lots of research I decided to buy a 10gal since I don't have a whole lot of room right now, something that'll fit on my desk.

I've been living in Alaska for the past 3.5 years serving in the army and now I'm finally getting out and going back home in about two weeks to California. I'll be on here quite a bit once I've settled back in and start up my aquarium.

Cheers!

:flowers: Welcome to the Forum! May your fish be healthy and your tanks be free of algae and snails!

Self sustaining ecosystems are pretty cool: have you looked into dirted Walstad tanks? Plants balance out the waste created by the fish, growing in soil. it's an interesting concept.

Welcome! Glad you are here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with your aquarium.

I don't know when I'm going to be able to do it but I just bought the Walstad book. (kindle edition).

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise 3, Diana Louise Walstad - Amazon.com

For now I have a more traditional planted tank. All my fish and plants are from South America. Working with that limitation I imposed on myself keeps it more interesting for me. I only have one, but I both enjoy it and take it seriously.

There are so many great fish and inverts to choose from. Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Last edited:
Sup dude. New too. Have a 46 in my garage. Don't wanna kill any fish, and the lighting system system isn't finished. Keepin low key with two guppies and a filter. What are your plans for the 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was looking into something like that, but for right now I'm going with the traditional planted as well. I plan on doing a heavily planted side and tapering it off in the middle somewhere and having a little rock or cave for the fish to actually hide inside, still looking for the right one.

As for the stocking, 7 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami and a mystery snail is what I'm planning.

For my cave I think ill get a few cool looking rocks together and angel it
What fish are you lookin to get?

I had a small red tail shark in mine lasted for 8 months, I think it out grew the tank though ?

For my cave I think ill get a few cool looking rocks together and angel it
What fish are you lookin to get?

7 Neon Tetras, a Dwarf Gourami and a Mystery snail.

Also that's what I was thinking, I don't like artificial decor, gonna go steal some slate rocks from up around here before I leave and use those to make a small hidy hole for them.

7 Neon Tetras, a Dwarf Gourami and a Mystery snail.

Also that's what I was thinking, I don't like artificial decor, gonna go steal some slate rocks from up around here before I leave and use those to make a small hidy hole for them.

Hey man, noticed you said you're gonna get some wild rocks. Before you put them in the tank you should pour some vinegar to make sure their safe. If they fizz they can cause a no no in your tank. I would boil them also but be careful because that can lead to them exploding.

Hey man, noticed you said you're gonna get some wild rocks. Before you put them in the tank you should pour some vinegar to make sure their safe. If they fizz they can cause a no no in your tank. I would boil them also but be careful because that can lead to them exploding.

Thank you. I've read about that, I'll make sure their safe before I add them or anything to the aquarium.

Your plans sound great. Have fun with it. Depending on where you are in CA, you can cut your own manzanita, clean and peal it for driftwood. Better to use dead pieces, but if you cut it live age it until it is really really dried out. Just be careful that it hasn't been spayed with anything. And watch out for ticks!

Your plans sound great. Have fun with it. Depending on where you are in CA, you can cut your own manzanita, clean and peal it for driftwood. Better to use dead pieces, but if you cut it live age it until it is really really dried out. Just be careful that it hasn't been spayed with anything. And watch out for ticks!

Is that a common use for driftwood? There's manzanita everywhere around where I'll be. Especially dead already, I'll give that a try too, that'd look great amongst the planted side. How exactly do you make sure it's safe, just boil it for like a whole day??

Is that a common use for driftwood? There's manzanita everywhere around where I'll be. Especially dead already, I'll give that a try too, that'd look great amongst the planted side. How exactly do you make sure it's safe, just boil it for like a whole day??

You can boil it for a couple hours to get all the tannins and stuff out. Some people will dry the would in the sun for a day or bake it to be extra careful.

Caleb

What Caleb said :)

Besides being very pretty in the aquarium, there are fewer tannins in manzanita than some other woods. It is one of the more favored woods for aquarium use.

Alrighty then, looks like I'll have to add that to my list then. I'll probably boil it and then bake it to be sure. Same with the rocks.

I think I'm going to change my substrate too, I've heard sand is good for a planted aqauirium, I kind of want to mix sand, and my current substrate together. I've seen that really dark stuff, where do you guys find it at?

Alrighty then, looks like I'll have to add that to my list then. I'll probably boil it and then bake it to be sure. Same with the rocks.

I think I'm going to change my substrate too, I've heard sand is good for a planted aqauirium, I kind of want to mix sand, and my current substrate together. I've seen that really dark stuff, where do you guys find it at?

No no not rocks. Ever heard of river rocks exploding around campfires? Don't want to take that risk. Just give it a good scrub in the sink and it will be fine.

Caleb

How about just a low heat bake? less than 200 degrees, maybe 170 to kill anything that might be on it?

How about just a low heat bake? less than 200 degrees, maybe 170 to kill anything that might be on it?

A rock is a rock. I've taken rocks straight from the lake in my backyard, a couple hours of scrubbing off crud in the sick and never had a problem. Leaving the baking for driftwood.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom