Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyDragonia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK so I have a unique 35-40gal tank and all my fish are doing well except for my albino paradise gaurami that seemed to have become blind overnight. He bloated up like he was blocked up and then couldn't swim straight and eventually had problems staying upright. What would cause a fish to go blind? My Albino Paradise Gaurami named Casper RIP just left us last night to visit the great porcelain god Zeus. :rocol:

Tank mates:
1 Dragon-fish: [moderator edit]
1 Plecostomus: Frank
1 Molly: Molly
1 Minnow: Shark bait
2 Fire Tail Tetra: Dumb & Dumber
3 Black Finned Tetra: 3 Stooges
3 Lemon Tetra: It, Spit & Bit
1 Shubunkin: Cali
2 Goldfish: Lady & Tramp
2 Fan Tails: Dom & Deluise
1 Blue Guarmi: Vigo
1 Dwarf Guarmi: Mortisha

Welcome to AA!

Love to see a picture of your tank! Sounds like what your gourami had was swim bladder diease.

Well, from what i could read on that disease it doesn't seem to be right. However, what it looked like was a combination of mild dropsy and cataracts.

Welcome to the site :wave:. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but that's a little overstocked for a 35-40g. Goldfish are coldwater fish, and don't do as well in tropical waters. Plus they create a lot of waste. Also, if that Dragon-fish is a Dragon Goby, then its a Brackish water fish. Also, depending on the pleco, it might get too big for your tank as well. Just an additional note, tetras like to be in schools of 6 or more.

Hello! Sorry for your loss. Your Gourami may have had Swim Bladder Disease. Unfortunately, there are a few problems with your tank.
First of all, it's a little overstocked.
Goldfish need to live in coldwater. The tank you have is a tropical set up.
Tetras need to be in schools of 6 or more!
Gouramis can be aggressive, watch out for the tetras. They are more vulnerable when not in a school.
Depending on the species, the pleco may outgrow your tank. If you have anything other than a common feeder Goldfish, Lady and Tramp will outgrow that tank VERY quickly, too. They can get anywhere form 6-12 inches.
Hope I could help, sorry for all the bad news.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom