hello everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bretts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
well i have decided to brighten my house and prepare to stock the new ocean created after 2012 lol in the prairies just joking no lifeboat here. Well my intrest comes from the barrier reef i had the privilege of visiting as a child loads of close calls thou, my question would be is it a good idea to buy an operating 14gallon biocube and learn from there how hardy is the saltwater system i was told the tank and fish could travel the three hour journey in my heated truck any advice is appreciated thanks brett

Welcome Aboard
30098-albums1142-picture7907.gif

First question, if it's clean and healthy, buying an established aquarium can be a good way into the hobby. It allows you to avoid some of the beginner mistakes. If you plan on building your own larger set-up in the future, then this tank would be an asset for that project.

As for how hard it is to move that tank, due to the style of tank and size, you might get away with just moving it as is. You say heated, if you can keep the truck warm, then it shouldn't be an issue. Depending how much life is in the tank, you might need to run an airstone or something so they don't suffocate.

sounds good i hope all works out well I will bring buckets to lower the level and perhaps pick up a couple air rocks and an inverter. Im not travelling till march 11 so will be reading up here to prepare myself should i use the bulk bottled water for exchange water and what style buckets are ok

You should probably post your question in the general hardware forum or saltwater forum. You'll get more views and responses, not everyone checks the member intro forum.

For saltwater, you really want to use RO/DI water. A lot of grocery stores have RO machines you can buy bulk water from.

For containers, any food safe bucket should be good, as long as it's not contaminated. #2 or #4 plastic totes, like the ones rubbermaid sells, can work well. If you're going to take the tank down, and move it in buckets, make sure the rock stays wet.

Back
Top Bottom