Hello everyone!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishguy2997

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi my name is brandon and im new to this site. I recently got a ten gallon aquarium and it has been running for almost two weeks now. I'm a beginner at this so the only fish that i have are goldfish. I hope to meet a lot of new people on this site that can give a guy a tip or two about maintaining a home aquarium, and also make new friends along the way.

Hiya Brandon! Welcome to the forum! There's alot of nice people and really great advice if you need it!

:-D

Welcome to AA. How many goldfish and what types do you have?

The general rule for goldfish is at least 20 Gallons for the first fish ... and 10 gallons for each additional as they have large bio loads. Fancy goldfish like fantails can get up to 8inches while common / comet are better suited for ponds. A 10 Gallon is suitable for small fish like a school of zebra danios, shrimp or snails.

jcolon said:
Welcome to AA. How many goldfish and what types do you have?

The general rule for goldfish is at least 20 Gallons for the first fish ... and 10 gallons for each additional as they have large bio loads. Fancy goldfish like fantails can get up to 8inches while common / comet are better suited for ponds. A 10 Gallon is suitable for small fish like a school of zebra danios, shrimp or snails.

An excuse to upgrade! Yay MTS... Heh

@jcolon thanks for the tip. i have the feeder type goldfish and there are 3 in my tank.i dont plan on keeping these fish for long. one of my friends wants them so im going to give them to him, and im planning on getting some other fish, but i dont know what to get yet.
@shadoefox haha, i think i might, but have to stick with this 10 gallon for a while until i can save enough money to get a bigger tank.

Excellent! Here is where I swoop in with 10 gallon stocking suggestions!

You could do a male betta, a school of nano fish or two (look up celestial pearl danios, rasbora briggatae, endler's livebearers, or some other micro rasboras), a pair of shell-dwelling cichlids, 3-4 male guppies, 3-4 platties, (or a breeding tank of one male guppy and three females, or one male platty and three females), you could add a dwarf gourami to almost any of these setups.

Also, for most of these, you could add shrimp, snails, and maybe a dwarf frog or two!

Also, I can not understate the weird fun that ghost shrimp are. They also don't exactly mean much to your bioload and while just about everything under the water eats them (If hungry enough), they clean up the bottom a treat. You could probobly get away with adding two or three to the suggestions Rossenweis made.

@rosenweiss Thanks,im going to look into your suggestions when i buy some new fish.

You're welcome! And Shadoe is correct, you can add ghosties. But you can add more than 2 or 3 if you want, their bioload is tiny.

Back
Top Bottom