Hello everyone, from the Netherlands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmallFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi y'all! I just wanted to introduce myself here and what I already have done since I found myself this beautiful new hobby.

So, hi! I'm from the Netherlands and am currently still a student with a part time job. I live on my own in a small town in the south of this (most often)cold and wet country.

This month I started with keeping fish. I never had any fish when I was younger
so I am totally new to this.

Before reading ahead I want to ask you not to totally burn me.. I've done the research now and.. ugh..

Stupid enough I didn't research this new hobby of mine and went ahead, on advise giving by friends, and bought myself a 18,5 liter tank (It's 5 gallon or so) a fantail goldfish and a common goldfish. I added some gravel, two plants, a cave ornament and another indescribable ornament, oh and a filter. I filled the tank with tap water, added the gravel and the ornament, installed the filter and then put the bag with the fishies in the water, waited for a few minutes and let my fishies loose in their new home. I gave them each two pellets of food and that was it.

After researching them.. I can conclude that I did almost everything wrong.. again please don't burn me. So, now I know I should have cycled my too small tank and shouldn't have bought goldfish. But hey, they do seem happy, so I got that going for me.. I'm thinking of transferring them to a pond of a friend of mine (which contains several goldfish already) after my fantail is cured from the Ick.

When I've given my little friends (the fantail is called Gimli and the common is called Legolas) a better new home I will cycle the tank before adding new fish.

For everyone who is going to say I need to buy a bigger tank.. I can't. I do not have the room for a bigger tank in my home (I live in a small two bedroom apartment). I just don't have the space.

I want the best for Gimli and Legolas, even it that means giving them up. So, at the moment I'm just doing some research to what kind of fish I can have in my 18,5 liter tank. There still are loads of possibilities and I am ashamed of myself that I didn't do this research earlier. I would like to add, that the shop - where I bought everything - should have informed me better. When I asked what kind of tank I should get or maybe a bowl (yeah, yeah I know better now!) she just said I should get what I wanted. No information or whatsoever about goldfish needing a large tank and all. Ugh.. a well.. I know better now. But I find very contradicting information on the internet on what kind of fish to put in a 18,5 liter tank and how many (or how little) of them I can have. All help is appreciated, so I will keep on looking through this forum.

Soooo... c'est moi et mon histoire regarding my new hobby. If you want to know more about me or something else. Just let me know. :)

Oh, also, here is a picture of my tank at this moment. If you have suggestions for it.. please let me now! :)
94261-albums14068-picture67094.jpg

Hi, welcome to AA :)

One thing I've found with small tanks and small fish is to watch them in the shop. I had some halequin rasboras in a small tank when sick but they were too darty. Got a few neons in a 5 gal and they are doing better.

Back
Top Bottom