Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone i finaly joined.

I recently started a saltwater tank just about 2 months ago, i have a 20 gallon saltwater tank and a 5 gallon freshwater tank along with a 1 gallon tank i use to grow biologics chemically for when i add new critters to the tank.

When i first started the tank i did alot of researching and found my self getting answers to alot of questions from this site after searching with google so now ive decided to become a member.

right now in my 20 gallon i have an emerald crab, a fire shrimp, a baby striped damsel fish, he's only just over a half inch ( i wanted to watch it grow ) a nassarius snail which i think laid eggs because now i have a bunch of tiny snails on my rocks, and 4 turbo snails, i discovered my emerald crab was pregnant a week after i got it, it doesnt seem to have the eggs anymore, i dont think they made it but on my live rock i sometimes see what looks like a tiny black bugs that move too fast to even see it much before they go into another hole. i also have alot of what i think are pods, tiny white moving dust, i have 3 pounds life rock and 13 lbs of lime stone which is starting to blush in some spots after i started to add purple up to my tank and placed some shavings of coraline inside some pits in the rock. I had a diamond gobie but it committed suicide so i had a friend who makes models of buildings cut me a custom fit peice of 1/4" acrylic plate to which i leave 4" cut away from the back for gas exchange.

placed two mechanical filters on the tank both rated for 20 gallons, one i removed the filter and replaced with some rough ceramic tube peaces that are for a fluval canister and the other i have a mechanical which i replace offen with some cuttings from a bulk package of aquarium filter mesh and i use the original media bag to hold the carbon.

i have an 18 watt 50/50 light which i plan to upgrade soon to a 65 watt pc light, i dont have a skimmer yet but i bought one online ( coralife super skimmer 65 ) and it should be in the mail by next week, also next week i plan to get in my wet/dry fuge that i bought on ebay with an overflow, return pump and 2x 13 watt pc 6500k lights which i plan to use to grow some macro algae. after looking closely at the pictures of the fuge i think im going to have to install another panel in the center where the mud will go because the bubble trap starts off on one of the sides with the panel starting from the top and it looks like because of that, mud, as it naturally spreads out on the bottom will cover that entry space for water and stop flow. i think for a fuge, wherever the mud or sand is going to be placed, it should be placed between panels starting from the bottem of the tank then from the top for the bubble trap.

Fierro Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! Glad to have you here.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA! let's see some pics of your tanks
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have now uploaded some pictures of my tank in my album

Fierro Nights is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com