hello everyone im new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone :wave: I am currently setting up a new 300l tank for my Oscar and his buddies :fish2:The tank is now in place but I haven't yet decided on sand or gravel, i love the look of sand but am more concerned about the mess and ability to clean, having read more on this it seems ok once you get used to it. Also which kind of sand do i want? play sand? coral sand? there seems to be many different types, im still researching this but if anyone can recommend or suggest anything then i'd appreciate it.
I am also pondering over the background, plain black? or splash out on a 3d? (they all apprear to be smaller than my tank though and im not sure how well they'd join?) I like the look of both but am not sure i can justify the price of a 3d one, especially since i cant find the right size and would have to try and join.
I also have a few fish which i cant identify :confused::fish1::confused: can anyone help here? i can post pictures but where is best to do so?
Thanks in advance for any help and im glad i found this site, great info and help so far!!

S. :thanks::fish2::fish1:

:welcome: to AA

I have gravel ... but little by little I am adding Pool Filter Sand which is a bit coarser than play sand so it doesn't get disturbed as easily. Play sand can easily cloud up. In my case the sand is more for the plant roots to have something to hold on to. So it slowly falls between and under the gravel.

If budget is tight .. go with a plain black .. which I think does wonders! It really make colors pop!! There are videos on you-tube about DIY 3D backgrounds that are economical.

To post pictures, go to the insert image tab ... kind of looks like a postcard.

Welcome to AA! I like the look of a plain black back ground. I am one of the few around here that much prefers gravel to sand, just do not like the look of sand at all.

:welcome: to AA

To post pictures, go to the insert image tab ... kind of looks like a postcard.

Sorry:facepalm::hide: ... I meant to say go to the

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt

that's below to post a pic from your computer.(y)

Welcome to AA! I like the look of a plain black back ground. I am one of the few around here that much prefers gravel to sand, just do not like the look of sand at all.

I agree. Honestly ... I like the uneven rugged look of black gravel best ... just with a few sandy spots here an there. Even better when you throw in some DW and river rocks.

Yeah i have been looking around online at other tanks and really like the look of the black background as an alternative to the 3d ones. I will have a look at the videos on youtube (thanks for that info) and I might attempt to make my own.
I have been looking further into sand, I realise play sand is very fine and can be messy when disturbed, is this also the case with sillca sand? I have also seen coral sand available locally to me, which i also like the look of. It seems more grainy so would this make it easier to keep/clean?

ah ok i wasn't sure if it was just for marine tanks, thanks for that ;)

I was also wondering if anyone can help me identify a couple of fish. They came with the tank i recently bought and am currently setting up. The previous owner had no idea what they were and i'v no idea myself.

the first is this one, some kind of cichlid?

photo2.jpg

and the second is the bigger longer fish behind the other in this pic -

photo3.jpg

Thanks

i will repost the above about identifying the fish on the freshwater section, this is the introduction page afterall!!!

Back
Top Bottom