Hello Everyone! New to site.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhyl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Let me start by saying hello to everyone. I am a Engineer/Paramedic( I drive the firetruck, pump fires) at a Fire dept here in Florida. I've had my 55g for along time only recently switching to a reef tank. And let me tell you I have alot to learn. I also have a 125 gallon predator tank and 6 gallon nano cube. I don't know where to post this so here goes. My biggest question is supplements. At this time I add reef complete, reef plus, reef calcium, reef carbonate, essential elements,
iodine, and reef vital dna. The tank seems to do alright I just think that is a whole lot off stuff to add. Is there an easier system?

You should be able to replenish everything by simple weekly PWC`s. I have never used supplements in my 10 yrs of reef keeping. I have still several corals and fish I started with 10+ yrs ago. Try doing some PWC`s and then test to see how you are doing. Welcome to the site.

Simple PWC`s. I dont have any problem . There are some Salt mixes that cant keep up with calcium but mine does a good job. What are your readings on the two?

If you have a lot of SPS corals then calcium can be depleted but as Mike and Ray mentioned regular PWCs will take care of most of it. I have a lot of SPS corals as well as a frag system and I dose B-ionic daily to my system. I maintain 450-480 CA alk is usualy 9-10 and my Mg is 1350ish. As long as your system is not depleteing your ca between PWCs you should be fine. Adding a lot of different things to your system can spell disaster.

Welcome to AA!

To be honest I haven't tested my ca or ph in probably a year. I always do a water change once a month and always add the same amount of supplements without any problems. I work three jobs so when I go to the lfs I let them test it and they always tell me it's good. I need to get another test kit so I don't have to rely on lfs. Is there an all in one kit you guys recommend? I have frog spawn, hammer coral, long stem pink button polyps( forgot what their called), xenia, open brain, and a couple I don't remeber the name of. I think one is a blasto colony. All corals seem to be doing good, getting bigger and multiplying. The only one that stays the same is the brain. My aunt gave it to me because it was starting to die. About 1/8 of an inch of meat is missing on one side....and it doesn't get better or worse. Oh one thing I don't seem to have luck with is the star polyps and zoo's.

API Master SW kit is a good kit if you want a complete set. I have it but I also use Salifert kits as well.

Back
Top Bottom