Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ick is a sickness that is kind of complex. in a nutshell, it's a sickness that preads and once it reaches the fishes gills it basically suffocates them. You can identify ick by noticing white spots on the fish. normally it looks like small grains of salt. If you see this, you need medication to prevent all your fish from dying. As far as your water parameters, go to your lfs (local fish store) and pick up some test strips. ask the workers they will know what they are. The strips are a little less accurate than other kits but still good for the money.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait
Ick is a sickness that is kind of complex. in a nutshell, it's a sickness that preads and once it reaches the fishes gills it basically suffocates them. You can identify ick by noticing white spots on the fish. normally it looks like small grains of salt. If you see this, you need medication to prevent all your fish from dying. As far as your water parameters, go to your lfs (local fish store) and pick up some test strips. ask the workers they will know what they are. The strips are a little less accurate than other kits but still good for the money.
I would definitely not recommend the test strips. Too inaccurate. Get a liquid test kit. Lasts for ages 800+ tests and way more accurate.
And you don't need medication to cure ich. Usually the only treatment that is needed is heat and salt.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rafael striped catfish are going to out grow that tank very fast
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Salt n Heat do not always work. be careful what you use and don't always trust the workers at lfs. they may not be as smart as people on here.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait
Salt n Heat do not always work. be careful what you use and don't always trust the workers at lfs. they may not be as smart as people on here.
That why I said 'usually'. But IMO meds can do more harm than good.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm ok well it seems most ofmy fish are too big for my tank thinking of getting rid of them all and starting over with a driftwood and liveplant combo any suggetions on what fish i should put in and how to go about setting it up and what types of aquatic plants i can get in northern canada
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobaquarists
hmmm ok well it seems most ofmy fish are too big for my tank thinking of getting rid of them all and starting over with a driftwood and liveplant combo any suggetions on what fish i should put in and how to go about setting it up and what types of aquatic plants i can get in northern canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobaquarists
hello everyone as my name says im a noob to all of this and need a place where i can ask questions and get the answers i need. first things first i recently got myself a tank not sure how mant gallons it is (30" L 12.5" W 18.5" H ) i currently have 2 albino corycats 2 striped raphael catfish a pleco around 12 guppies and 2 silver mollys a balloon molly a cpl fancy black goldfish and 2 other fish i was told might be sword tail mollies but im not sure all theese fish came with the tank and i dont know anything about them so if anyone has some tips id greatly appreciate it
Ok your tank is 29gallon.
You can keep the cories and increase their school to 4-6.
Rehome the Raphael catfish.
Depending on the type of pleco you may need to rehome. It's most likely a common that get to 2 feet long.
You can keep some guppies. You can keep all of them if you rehome the mollies and swordtails.
Rehome the goldfish. Or rehome all other fish and keep gf.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with Mumma on the tankmates. I might get rid of a few guppies tho. 12 is a lot!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

what what go good in my tank with a 3 in albino tiger oscar?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

you need to be careful with Oscars, they will eat you guppies. You need to stick with Cichlids if you go that route but they often need bigger tanks than a 29 gal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com