Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello from a Newbie - and Emergency Advice Requested

Hi all! First of all, I'm so happy to be in the group and look forward to getting to know all you amazing Aquarists! I've just gone through the longest cycling (it seems) and everything was on course for a healthy introduction of my first fish yesterday. We bought 6 Rasboras, introduced them to the temp and slowly introduced our tank water into their bag a little at a time every 15 mins, and then finally let them free in our tank. 5 hours later, they started to disappear and we couldn't figure it out. Now we have 1 left 18 hours later. Our filter must have the other 5. We will get a cover to put on the filter input tubes right away, but QUICK QUESTION: Do we need to dismantle our filter and clean it out? Will it be toxic to our tank?

THANK YOU!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Prob a good idea,your filter will be pretty gross in a week or so

Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 813Fishies View Post
Hi all! First of all, I'm so happy to be in the group and look forward to getting to know all you amazing Aquarists! I've just gone through the longest cycling (it seems) and everything was on course for a healthy introduction of my first fish yesterday. We bought 6 Rasboras, introduced them to the temp and slowly introduced our tank water into their bag a little at a time every 15 mins, and then finally let them free in our tank. 5 hours later, they started to disappear and we couldn't figure it out. Now we have 1 left 18 hours later. Our filter must have the other 5. We will get a cover to put on the filter input tubes right away, but QUICK QUESTION: Do we need to dismantle our filter and clean it out? Will it be toxic to our tank?

THANK YOU!
How did you cycle? What is your levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Megacichlid, UGH.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We cycled for 6 weeks, slowly building up good bacteria with a special formula from our really great fish store (Pacific Aquarium and Plant in Manhattan); We tested our PH and Ammonia levels and both were perfect; but I did not test for nitrates, nitrites. I'm going to the fish store today with a water sample for them to look at and then get a test for these important components. I feel stupid after soooo much preparation.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay:

1. I am not sure if that special formula had any bacteria in it, but from my understanding, unless it is scientifically proven that the <beneficial bacteria live in the container, the LFS duped you. Mostly about 95% of the time, it either contains the wrong bacteria to help with your nitrification or the bacteria were long dead.
2. You should test for nitrites and nitrates. You'll know you've cycled after you've seen your nitrites and nitrates spike and then gradually decrease to a lower level.
3. Did you add any source of ammonia? The <beneficial bacteria will not make ammonia on their own. If you didn't add any source of it, ex. fish food, raw shrimp, pure ammonia, then you got a good ammonia reading because there was none.
4. Are you testing with test strips or a liquid test kit? Test strips are horribly inaccurate. I once tested my water with 0 ammonia and nitrates and 20 nitrates and a pH of 7.6, and the LFS with a liquid test kit test strips got 0.5 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0, nitrates, and 6.4 pH if memory serves correct.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks all!! We found the fish in the filters 2 casualties, and added 6 White Clouds and 6 more rasboras - all is good and total fishcount is 15. Nitrates and Nitrites are perfect. woop woop! We learned to put sponges over the input tube and it'll prevent further casualties. xx
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish in filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com