Hello from Arizona!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanimal67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody. My name is Shannon. I have taken back up fishkeeping (African cichlids) after having taken a 20 year break. In the last few weeks, I have learned quite a lot from forums like this one. Mostly I have learned how much I did not know or do correctly the first time around.

I am currently cycling in a 75 gallon with fish in. For reference, I am filtering through an Aquatop CF500. I am three weeks in now, and am managing to keep both ammonia and nitrites at or below .25 ppm. 10-20% water changes 3-4 times a week. The fish are very lively 2-3" juveniles (four peacocks, five smaller mbunas) with minimal aggression thus far. I have had to take three of the most agressive fish (in addition to the aforementioned nine) and put them into the timeout tank. They may or may not rejoin their tank mates once the current group have become more established. Anyway, thanks for having me, and teaching me along the way!

Yes, welcome fellow cichlid keeper! :cool:

I have a small assortment of South Americans, with one African exception.

Yes, welcome fellow cichlid keeper! :cool:

I have a small assortment of South Americans, with one African exception.

That's awesome! I did end up swapping out two very aggressive Mbunas and one psychotic OB Peacock for one great little Taiwanese Reef cichlid. Everybody seems to be gelling nicely so far. That is ten fish in 75 gallons with plenty of lace rock for them to hide. I think that might be just about my limit. Thoughts?

Update: learning the hard way that despite what you read or see on YouTube, trying to mix Mbuna, Peacock & Hap cichlids is very tough. The Mbunas are simply too agressive, regardless if they are the smallest fish in the tank. Today they took out the Taiwan Reef fish...big bummer. I'm seriously considering pulling all the Mbunas and replacing them with more Peacocks and Haps. Lessons learned I suppose.

Wow, so sorry about the fish that died. From what I hear the Mbuna are a challenging fish.

Yeah, thanks. The Mbuna are great if that is the only cichlid type you have. Unfortunately for me I believed I could mix various cichlids. Not so much it seems. Apparently not everything on the internet is true.

We have an Mbuna adopted last summer from a wife's friend moving. Apparently they decided fish-keeping was no longer their thing. He's obviously aggressive, but being the odd man out in a tank full of larger South Americans, his disposition now seems more like "frustrated" than anything else. Nothing really unusual going on though, everybody has been doing just fine.

I was scolded by the AA faithful in another thread at the time for even attempting it. The actual facts WRT mixing fish is this: Every environment is different. General rules and guidelines are great, but may not apply to certain specific situations. And of course as you have confirmed: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Cyberspace is teeming is self-proclaimed experts, whose knowledge of limited academic and personal experience may or may not apply.

I figured that if all my cichlids were from Malawi I would stand a better chance. Obviously that isn't entirely true. I have five Mbunas behaving very nicely with four Peacocks. I think it really does come down to finding fish with the right temperament and also doing what you can to curb aggression. I'm trying, but I'm thinking that in the long run I would be happier with all peacocks and haps...thus the Mbunas will have to go.

I figured that if all my cichlids were from Malawi I would stand a better chance. Obviously that isn't entirely true. I have five Mbunas behaving very nicely with four Peacocks. I think it really does come down to finding fish with the right temperament and also doing what you can to curb aggression. I'm trying, but I'm thinking that in the long run I would be happier with all peacocks and haps...thus the Mbunas will have to go.

Sounds good! set yourself up for success;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds good! set yourself up for success;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Final installment: all Mbunas gone. Replaced by eight peacocks and four haps and everybody is happier, including me! [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom