hello from australia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark3284

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey my names mark and I have had a, what you guys call a nano set up, That has been siting in my cupboard for a long while, I pulled it out today and I am going to start cycling it, How much salt should I put in it. It is a 48L tank and will have approximately 1-2 1/2 Inch of Crushed coral on the bottom by the end of the day. I cant wait to get guning into it.:2gunfire:

ok well, Ill be gone for a few hours now Im going to get me a bag of salt and some crushed coral.. do I need to put live rock in while it is cycling?

I wish it would stay that cool here! Mid-50's sounds so nice right now... It's supposed to be 95 tomorrow, with 80% humidity! I miss the snow already.

Welcome to AA!
How big is your nano setup? Buy a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure the salt level aka specific gravity. if you plan on keeping corals make your salinity 1.025. for just fish and live rock you can get away with a bigger ranger... from 1.021-1.026 is ok.

add your live rock to cycle and check to see your ammonia levels spike and nitrates build up. if you are using fully cured live rock and sand you may never see this spike (which is what happened to me). either way i let it do its thing for like 2 weeks before adding anything besides rock and sand and water.

its a 48 L and I have a hydrometre, I plan on keeping live rock annemone some coral and a pair of clowns in there.. to much?? I have put water in but I didnt put salt in so I figure Ill do it next water change, any one have a idea how much salt per litre I should put in??

Hi Mark3284, and a huge warm welcome "from accross the pond!".

Here in sunny Florida (USA) it's 80 degrees.

Good luck with the project, and again welcome.

Bob R

mark it should give you some sort of approximation on your salt mix i think. if not eye ball it and then keep measuring until you get it right. for the things you want, aim for 1.025. remember not to add any live rock until you have your salt correct as there are little sensitive creatures on there that cant live without the salt water.

also an anemone may quickly grow too large for your setup. not sure though, i am getting one this week so dont quote me i dont have the experience with them yet!

mmmmmmm 95! Swap?
You don't know how much I wish for that!! Ever since I was in elementary school, and we had a huge project that allowed me to study Australia, I have always said that if I had the chance to move to another country, it would be there! I just know I could pick up the accent in no time too! :)

Back
Top Bottom