Hello from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all.

I live in western Canada and work as a SCUBA diver. I've been hanging around the forums for a while, decided it was time to join so I could participate in the discussions, and ask questions about my new build.

It's been 24 years since my last tank, as a kid I had two FW tanks, first tank had mickey mouse platies, a cool looking shark (look-a-like?), some others I thought looked cool, a couple cleaners and plants (plants kept well trimmed or it turned into a jungle), second tank had 2 turtles, a couple cleaners, lots of plants, and my babie platies so they didn't get eaten in the big tank.

After about a year I had to move and lost my tanks. Ever since I've always kinda wanted to get back into the hobby, but when I first moved out on my own, it seemed like aquariums were out of my price range, and while nice, wasn't something I had to have.

Well, the home aquarium industry has advanced leaps and bounds since those days. My first view of a reef aquarium and I was hooked. Watching a friend build his tropical saltwater reef tank set the hook. Theres no way I'm getting away now.

I thought a lot about what kind of tank I want to build. A tropical reef tank would look amazing and I'm sure I could get endless enjoyment from it. But I'm a SCUBA diver in a temperate zone and I'm in the water 5 days a week. I have tons of amazing life all around me that would look fantastic in a tank. So I'm considering a temperate reef tank; I would be severely limited to stock I could purchase, but I could probably catch everything I wanted myself, and save money. (money is tight, may slow me down, but I plan to keep plodding)

So right now working on a DIY chiller and keeping an eye open for someone getting rid of aquarium gear cheap. I eventually want to make my own tank, a plywood/glass composite, but I may leave that part till last, and set up a 90g glass tank I have when I have the rest of the equipment.

Deep Seven

P.S. Was coming up with a name, figured since I dive, maybe Deep Six, but I didn't want to be named after a euphemism for death, and most of my dives are down to 70fsw, so Deep Seven it is.

Hey All.

I'm back. And forth. And fifth, etc. :)

Update: My puffer tank got mothballed. I couldn't keep my snails alive (live puffer food), and couldn't figure out why they kept dying, so I dropped it for now.

At this point I'm planning a vivarium (frog terrarium), and setting up a 55g freshwater aquarium to house fish from a 29g aquarium that's being given to me.

It's probably been over a year since I was last posting. I'm glad to be back.

Back
Top Bottom