Hello from Chicago, need help with molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susanb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to AA.com - was looking for any help with a creamsicle molly that we purchased a week ago at Petco. There have been about three times this week that I thought it was dead (lying on side, no movement) and then when I try to scoop it out - it is alive and kicking! Does swim to the surface to eat some, but while it is a really pretty fish, it doesn't look good. The Cory and Red Tail Platy are doing fine in the small tank (2.5 gallon). Any thoughts???

Pretty small tank there.

Have you check the water chemistry?

Also does the fish seem to swim drunkenly? Sort of up and down or on it's side? That would be a sign of a swim bladder infection.

Platies are a hardy species, I have no experience with Cory, or know how hardy/delicate they are.

When you have water quality issues the weakest fish is usually the one showing the first symptoms (sort of like why the flu is worse for kids and the elderly).

Thanks - I am not sure how to check the water quality. We took a sample to Petco when we got the molly and they said our water was fine. As far as its movements, when the fish is active it swims ok. When it is not active then it tends to go on its side. Would water temp have anything to do with it??

i doubt water temp would be the culprit, unless it swings alot... mollies can adapt to alot of water conditions... they are actually a pretty tough fish. They can live in cold water, warm water, fresh water, brackish water, and salt water... I would lean more towards ammonia... You need a test kit to test your water every week or two...

That tank is way to small for those fish to begin with. I'm assuming that they were using test strips to test your water which are inaccurate and junk. Go grab an API Freshwater Master Test kit. Liquid test kits are much better than strips. You should try and give the fish back to Petco, or find a freind and give them the fish. After this, go grab a 10-30g tank to start with and cycle it properly. Go into the articles section and read the one(s) about fishless cycling. Cories need to be in groups of 5 or more IMO. Never trust Petco or Petsmart's advice as they are more in it for the money and will tend to tell you a bunch of crap about a product just so they can make a pretty penny. Hope this helps.

Lastly, welcome to AA! Great forum with lots of kind, knowledgable people.

Another thing, most live breeders like mollies and platys do like some salt. As a matter of fact, when acclimated properly, mollies can be in SW aquariums.

We have a pair of silver lyretail mollies we bought at Petsmart that started to act the same way you're describing. Once I started adding marine salt to the tank (just started adding the salt last weekend, it's a brackish set up) they did much better. Now that they are at a specific gravity of 1.004 they are happy as can be.

I would suggest adding a small amount of aquarium salt or marine/reef salt. The corys can withstand some, not much tho. The platys and mollies will love it. Do it slowly tho. Mix in a clean cup (no soap residue) some water from the tank (after you have tested it yourself and can be sure it's safe for the fish) with a 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Let it desolve then slowly pour it in a little at a time.

Back
Top Bottom