Hello from Chicagoland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyssa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been an avid aquarist for much of my life, but I got out of the hobby about 10 years ago due to a move and subsequent uncertainty. Recently got a very bad yen to get back into it and here I am. I bought a 55 gallon tank and assorted gear and am in the process of building a custom "rock" background before I start the fill/cycle/stock process. It's hard to be patient because I really want to stock TODAY but I am sure I'll be glad I waited when I get the look I want.

It's interesting to note the differences in common procedures since the last time I had a tank. Most notably the move away from undergravel filtration, which makes me happy. I'm planning a lightly planted freshwater community tank with probably a sand substrate (still undecided there but leaning heavily in that direction)

I'm looking forward to participating in the community here and to learning new things.

Best regards,
Alyssa

Thanks so much for being so welcoming! It is wonderful to have found such an active, enthusiastic community. I suppose all the Chicagoland people are familiar with Old Town Aquarium? That has been one of my favorite haunts for a very long time.

A friend just went to the Shedd and said the jellyfish exhibit is terrific. I will probably go sometime in December or early January when my daughter is in town.

The shedd aquarium is the reason I keep saltwater fish. I went there last January, and that is when I really started reading about reef tanks. Chicago is my second favorite city of all time (Richmond is first obviously) and I try to go as much as possible. Good luck with the tank!!!

I almost went salt but honestly, I just can't afford it. I know myself well enough to know I would end up spending money I had no business spending on fish :-> but I will get a ton of enjoyment out of the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom