Hello from FL. New to Aquarium Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:fish1: Hello to all,
I am in desprate need of help. I just aquired a 55 gal freshwater tank yesterday with approx 15 fish chiclids I believe. I have set up the tank with the same filter, gravel and 1/4 of the old water as a friend of mine said this what I should do. Now the kids (fish) are in a 5 gal bucket with an air pump in it. I know this is not the best way to do this and I dont like this stress as I dont want to harm them. I was surprised with the set up. I want this to work. Please help what should I do?

Put the fish in the tank and monitor your levels with an API master freshwater kit
You will also have to fill up the tank all the way with dechlorinated water
You want your levels to be-
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-<40

You really need to make sure what kind of fish you have, as far as setting up, you have started the right way by using the water filter exc. try to set your tank somewhere that it does not get direct sun light as this will over heat the water and cause an over growth of algae. make sure that when you add water to refill the tank that it is treated with something that detoxifies chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, there are lost of different kind out there I use Prime. This can be found at your local fish store. You also will want to get a master test kit to test your water don't waste your money on the strips they don't work very well. And be prepared to do weekly 20-25% water changes so your little guys stay happy

Still nervous

I went to the store and got the master kit the levels are as follows:
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-5
Nitrates-40
Water temp- 78 F
Initally used AmQuel plus and NovAqua for set up.
I did buy Prime from recomendations from this site.
Now these guys were established yesterday in there other home without issue. We saved approx 1/8th the ammount of water and all the gravel which wasnt cleaned, the filter still has the bacteria. Now as I read this is a good thing that can help?:confused:

Sounds like you have done a good job. Don't change the old filter media yet and leave the un cleaned gravel for the time being. Keep an eye on the water readings, once the tank balances its self out again your readings should be ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates around 20 no higher than 40. as long as your water stays good you should be able to wait for a week then start doing your weekly water changes. 20-25% of the waste should be changed and make sure to treat the new water every time with Prime or another detoxifyer. Sit back and enjoy your new friends they are a joy to watch.

sorry correction to previous post 20-25% of the water should be changed. This encourages healthy growth, spawning and over all healthy fish.

If you go and read about the nitrogen cycle in fish tanks it can do a much better job of explaining than I can for why this bacteria is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom