Hello from Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarNspice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the marine aquarium scene. I bought a 56 gallon tank & stand off of Craigslist & all is good - no leaks. :) I plan to learn as much as I can before starting the "cycle" process. As well as even thinking about which fish to collect.
(My profile pic shows a purple tang which is the whole reason I wanted to get a tank is because I fell in love with this fish. However after doing research lol I now know they need more room than 56 gallons - my hope is to do well with my small tank & then eventually get a large enough tank going for my future purple tang :D )
Anyways - please chime in if you have starter suggestions or advice. Thanks

Welcome! Advise you read up on fishless cycling. What type of filter & heater do you plan to have? Also , will you have sand for substrate? Plants?

Welcome! Advise you read up on fishless cycling. What type of filter & heater do you plan to have? Also , will you have sand for substrate? Plants?

Hi :) I don't know what to use so far as in heater/filter etc. I started stocking up on sand that I found. (So far have 2 - 20 lb. bags of Nature's Ocean brand bio-activ live aragonite). According to what I've read about how much sand to add, I should put 2.75 bags of 20 lb. bags ... Anyways I also have a 18 lb. bag of Instant Ocean brand sea salt.

Welcome! Also, I would just get the rest regular sand as I have heard from many people live sand doesn't do much, it's the rock you want alive more than the sand:) I can't wait to see more of your tank in the future!

Welcome! Also, I would just get the rest regular sand as I have heard from many people live sand doesn't do much, it's the rock you want alive more than the sand:) I can't wait to see more of your tank in the future!

Hi :) thanks for the advice. The only reason I plan to get one more bag of the live sand is because it's black. As soon as I saw the black sand I got excited lol it was different and beautiful :)
What would you suggest for a filter system/ heater etc. I keep seeing you tube videos about sumps. I just want to figure out exactly what to get - I try and purchase something needed for my tank every paycheck.

Hi :) thanks for the advice. The only reason I plan to get one more bag of the live sand is because it's black. As soon as I saw the black sand I got excited lol it was different and beautiful :)
What would you suggest for a filter system/ heater etc. I keep seeing you tube videos about sumps. I just want to figure out exactly what to get - I try and purchase something needed for my tank every paycheck.

I see:). That explains a lot! I still don't even have sand for my tank, so for now it's bare bottom;)

I use a heater from eBay that I got pretty cheap. It works marvelously and I like it, if you got a sump I'd put it in there. And I think you'll need a protein skimmer as well...

I would do a sump for a tank that size. I think a 20L would work... Honestly I'm a SW noob myself so your best bet would be to post in the SW part of this forum. So, so, so many wonderful people will be able to help you out there:). Best of luck.

I see:). That explains a lot! I still don't even have sand for my tank, so for now it's bare bottom;)

I use a heater from eBay that I got pretty cheap. It works marvelously and I like it, if you got a sump I'd put it in there. And I think you'll need a protein skimmer as well...

I would do a sump for a tank that size. I think a 20L would work... Honestly I'm a SW noob myself so your best bet would be to post in the SW part of this forum. So, so, so many wonderful people will be able to help you out there:). Best of luck.

Ok thanks :)

Back again. I now have my 3rd bag of sand & bought a Eshopps PF-300 Overflow Box off of eBay.
I'm slowly getting everything together. Need to start saving for a sump.
:) just wanted to give an update.

Back
Top Bottom