Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello from Indiana!

Hey guys. I'm a new hobbist just starting out in Terre Haute, IN. I was given a small 5g self contained aquarium and decided to try saltwater. The first trip to the fish store, and I was hooked. At that point I already had it in my head that I was going to go bigger, but I went ahead and started the small tank with some live sand and rock. A little while in I added a turbo snail and an Ocellaris Clown. I knew it was pretty small when I got it but I planned on getting the bigger tank soon, and I did.

Now I'm getting ready to fill my new 75g tank, with a 25g sump. The tank should be quick to cycle hopefully because I still have wet sand beds in both the sump and display and a wet mini filter (which brings me to a quick question I'll put at the end of the post...). I got a pretty good deal on it all: a Coralife T5 fixture for the sump, another light (it's a round light like a heat lamp for a reptile but it isn't a heat lamp) for the sump, a long T5 fixture for the display tank with a moonlight LED strip in front, a bunch of chemicals and a full testing kit, very nice stand, the 75g and 25g tanks, all the plumbing, over 150 pounds of rock and sand, for 270 bucks off Craigslist.

Anyway, my question was about the filter. The previous owner had the tank running for over a year with just a small HOB filter running in the sump. It looks like the filter came with the 25g tank, but there's no way it is keeping up with 100 gallons of water (it looks smaller than the filter on my 5g). There was all kinds of brown and green slime on the back of the tank that I had to clean. Any advice on what kind of filter would be good to sit in the sump? Would just a larger HOB work good or should I do something different altogether?
jeffesaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com