Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello from Ky

I was referred to this forum by one of your members and am glad I found it. I've been keeping freshwater off and on since 1967. I spent four years working part time at an LFS and kept some snakes, salamanders and saltwater tanks in the 1980's. Saltwater wasn't much back then, crushed coral substrate, undergravel filters (never tried the reverse flow), and coral skeletons for decoration. Kept a few small fish, some shrimp and crabs. No corals or fancy lighting and I never spent the big bucks for wet dry filters when they first came out. I did use powerheads on the UG filters as well as an HOB so I had good flow even though I didn't know it was important back then.

My first and current reef tank was started in August 2006 and I try to keep it as natural as possible. I built the ecosystem slowly (nothing but the live rock from an established tank that came with a couple of kenya trees for the first 8 months) and have tried my best to develop as much diversity as possible among the small lifeforms that live in saltwater. It is not a beautiful addition to the decor of my home but more of a science project to study all the interesting things I find in there. I believe that it is very stable because it developed slowly and naturally. My water conditions and filtration are far from pristine but if I lose a fish I never find a body since something in the diversity cleans up the mess before it causes a chain reaction of more deaths and an eventual crash.

Jim - Freedom is Never Free. Thank a Veteran Today!
steamer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Welcome aboard Jim! Glad to see you here. I know you'll enjoy it here

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, and welcome to AA.
starquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome, thanks for joining us!
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Welcome to AA!!

arcticfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com