Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Would using driftwood be equivalent to using rocks as far as hiding places?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would really wanna get some type of rock scaping in there for them to hide and to break up the line of sight. In the tank you have going I think driftwood may kill your theme. Rocks would look much better IMO. Maybe get some rocks the same color or close like dark grey and light grey? Stack them towards the back to allow the front for open swimming.

This of course is just my opinion.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #13

Thanks. Most appreciated. Do you think those cichlid rocks with wholes already in them would look good with this setup or are natural rocks better
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouncingparty
Thanks. Most appreciated. Do you think those cichlid rocks with wholes already in them would look good with this setup or are natural rocks better
IMO I've both. Go with the more natural look plus those Cichlid stones which I had for awhile and a lot of them catch a lot of debris in them and hold them. Go natural, with your tank it will look amazing!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouncingparty View Post
Would using driftwood be equivalent to using rocks as far as hiding places?
Nice looking tank but...
For what it's worth, if you are going with African Cichlids, the driftwood would probably acidify your water which is not good for the Africans. They need hard alkaline water which Miami is noted for. (I'm a former South Floridian who was in the fish biz there) Since you are not using any calcium based gravel, the last thing you want in the tank is something acidifying the water. You CAN use driftwood if you are going with South American Cichlids tho. More in tune with the Mayan theme BTW
If you are going with Africans, they need many hiding spots to keep the peace amongst themselves so I'd use some rocks and make caves. If your decor is more important, you may want to rethink your fish selection. Just a thought
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to note I have 6 pieces of driftwood in my tank and no issues. I think the OP can still have a very sick looking African Cichlid tank if the OP just adds a nice rock scape like posted earlier. I don't think adding DW is bad for the tank. But do agree it will hinder the theme.

Stick with rocks for your tank to keep the theme going. Like I said before use some dark and light grey rock, make some caves, stack them towards the back and leave the front open for free swimming.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome tank theme!!! I would go eith the natural dark looking rocks as well!! Can't wait to see it finished!!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #18

Should i use round rocks or those flat stones everyone seems to be using. Ive seen too some round looking cichlid rocks with holes in them as well. Ive seen some texas holy rock too which is nice but that i think wont fit too well with the theme
Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouncingparty
Should i use round rocks or those flat stones everyone seems to be using. Ive seen too some round looking cichlid rocks with holes in them as well. Ive seen some texas holy rock too which is nice but that i think wont fit too well with the theme
I'd use the flat stones. It would work better with your theme and you could easily stack them safely.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

For what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Just to note I have 6 pieces of driftwood in my tank and no issues. I think the OP can still have a very sick looking African Cichlid tank if the OP just adds a nice rock scape like posted earlier. I don't think adding DW is bad for the tank. But do agree it will hinder the theme.

Stick with rocks for your tank to keep the theme going. Like I said before use some dark and light grey rock, make some caves, stack them towards the back and leave the front open for free swimming.
Having come from New Jersey in the fish biz and moving to South Florida again into the fish biz, I can tell you that NY water is not the same as FL water and comparisons from the 2 places are not really suggested or at best, need to be taken cautiously. I moved fish down from NJ and the fish reacted poorly to the change, and these were Oscars and Angels so fragility was not the issue. It was the water.
I also know that driftwood, depending on which company it came from, did change the water chemistry in S. Florida. Anytime it leached, it acidified the water and the African Cichlids reacted poorly. Those that didn't leach anything and were "cured" were okay but you didn't really know for sure which one was safe until it was too late. (One company's cured was not another's.) Using a coral based gravel like Carib Sea's African Cichlid mix, for example, would have counter acted the acidity from the DW BUT the OP said he wasn't using a coral based gravel making it a crap shoot as to whether the fish would thrive in the tank.
The one thing that we aquarists need to remember is that water is not the same everywhere. It can be and usually is different from region to region, area to area, city to city and sometimes street to street. Having worked in Pet Stores and wholesalers from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, I know this to be true

Here's an example: Eat a sub roll from Blimpie's in NY and one in Blimpie's in Miami and you can taste the difference. It's the water

Just some thoughts to think about.

Tags
miami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com