hello from Michigan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichelleBeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Aquarium Advice comm, I'm Michelle, and I'm pleased to meet all of you! :)

I've always loved animals and have never gone without pets. I have a strong passion for birds in particular, and have raised zebra finches as a teen. Right now I have a pair of cockatiels.

As for fish, I often had a tank or two when I was a child. I grew up right next to a creek, and when I was 10 or so I kept a tank with several small minnows and a baby bluegill for a few years before releasing them back where I originally caught them from (at that time I thought the minnow trap my grandpa bought me was the most amazing thing since sliced bread... haha)

I had a pair of angelfish that lived to be about seven years old, and they were the most distinct memory of a tropical pet fish that I have (they had their own 20 gallon tank with a water heater, etc, the wild minnows and bluegill had a 20-30 gallon tank in the basement.) Besides for those guys, I also had several goldfish over the years as well. And I swear, up to this point, I thought that the Black Moor goldfish I had was actually a Black Molly. Only after looking up the actual pictures of the fish did I realize I never actually had any mollies... heh.

I also had zebra fish. I know this only because of the memory I have of watching one literally jump out of the tank and freaking out while trying to get it back in (I think it was fine.. can't remember what happened after that.. lol)

It's been around 15 years since I last had any pet fish, wild or bought (29 years old now... the angels were my last and I was very upset when they passed when I was about 13 or so).

I recently bought a 30 gallon tank, complete with gravel, fixtures, fake plants, a filter, a water heater, etc etc off craigslist for 50 dollars.. and I am very excited to get back into having some fishies again.

Things seem a lot more complicated than I remember from when I was 12 or so though (I had no idea what cycling a tank meant before looking it up, or even that water testing kits existed. :hide:)

But, I think after following the guide here and asking for help, I'll be well on my way.

I look forward to chatting with you guys and will almost certainly be back with many questions. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! I'm from the metro Detroit area. :) I believe I've decided on angelfish being the major fish in my new tank... Still have to cycle it and get the water testing kit from API... but at least I'm getting somewhere in the decision department.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm from the metro Detroit area. :) I believe I've decided on angelfish being the major fish in my new tank... Still have to cycle it and get the water testing kit from API... but at least I'm getting somewhere in the decision department.

Good start in the right direction, good to hear you're cycling it. Be careful with the tubes in the test kit, I accidentally broke all of mine because I'm so clumsy (whoops)! I was down in the Detroit area not at long ago for the Dream Cruise, love it down there. Have family down in Warren, so I'm down that way fairly often.

Back
Top Bottom