Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Neolamprolongus brevis is the species I am referring to, they are very mild mannered for african cichlids and live in monogamus pairs. They will attempt to protect the area directly around their shell but if challenged will generally choose to flee rather than fight. They would do well with german rams as the generally inhabit different areas of the tank.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those are nice species of fish everyone mentioned! I dont currently have a good enough setup to raise fry nor the money to buy one. I will keep that in mind when looking for the fish for this tank. There is a fish store in lancaster, pa that sells rams but I read that they were not the hardiest of fish and I am still a beginner.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseabelle7
Neolamprolongus brevis is the species I am referring to, they are very mild mannered for african cichlids and live in monogamus pairs. They will attempt to protect the area directly around their shell but if challenged will generally choose to flee rather than fight.
I was making a broad statement about shellies not narrowing it down to a single species/genus. As with everything there is always exceptions to the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseabelle7
They would do well with german rams as the generally inhabit different areas of the tank.
I am going to have to disagree with this , As a rule of thumb cichlids from different continents should not be mixed to do differences in aggression, dietary and water parameter needs. Rams and Shellies both occupy the bottom of the tank and will defend their territory when spawning.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com