Hello from Nottingham (UK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ainsleynee87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone!

I have just got an 90 litre tank (roughly 20 gallons)

I am in the process of doing a fish-less cycle (thanks to the helpful posts on here)

I have never really kept fish on my own before, only as a child with my parents help, so am finding this forum really helpful already!

I am hoping to put 2-3 goldfish in the tank. Is this ok, or would it be over-stocked?

Thanks for reading my post,

Ainsley :)

(I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to uplaod images :-S)

What would you suggest to put in?

There are so many different types of fish I am so confused.
With the kit I bought I got a heater. Is a tropical tank just as easy as a coldwater tank?

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Thanks.
I think I'll pop to my local pet store and see what they have. Then do my research.

Thanks again :)

Tropical tanks are very easy and small tropical fish like tetras are good community fish and dont put off near the waste of goldfish. Plus w/ small tropical fish you could have a much better variety in a 20 gal than w/ goldfish. with small tetras and corys and the like your looking at 10-15 fish instead or 1 or 2.

Thanks.
I think I'll pop to my local pet store and see what they have. Then do my research.

its best to check out several and talk to the "experts" while you're there then do your research and see who actually knows what they're talking about. A lot of pet stores will just try and sell you stuff regardless of weather or not it would be a good fit for your setup or experience level. Also talk to other people in your area and see what fish stores they recommend. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a good fish store with knowledgeable staff and hardy stock.

+1 Agwatts, You need to find an aquatic centre rather than a general pet store. This isn't a blanket cover of all suppliers, but you would do well to get the advice you seek from AA's where we really are here for the good of the fish.

Try this website to read up on tropicals (it has PICTURES :) ) Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks

This site gives preferred water parameters, you can check compatability between species, final adult sizes, minimum recommended tank capacities and much more.

You can read up on the requirements for just about any tropical fish available and hopefully it will help you make a choice as to what you want to house in your tank :)

Welcome to AA and yes i agree with everyone else i have only been into fish for 3 months and i find that every aquatic store has their own different opinions as to what goes with what and what to put into what tank, that is how i found this site. Do alot of reading and research on fish and what types of fish you might want to go for. myself i like the central and african cichlids bright and colorful but you can't have many together. so do the research and get alot of opinions and then decide by researching

I went to a local 'aquatic' store and got chatting to a staff member. I said that I'd love to have goldfish, but it wouldn't work with my size tank.
She replied "oh no, its ok. Fish are really smart and grow according to the tank" I asked her if she was asking me to purposely stunt a goldfishs' growth and she seemed quite happy to sell me half a dozen!

I left and decided to do my research on here and go to a more established/knowledgable aquatic shop.

I'm so glad that I put this post on here to get advice instead of just going in-store and end up having 6 unhappy goldfish.

Thanks again for all of the advice :)

Amazing hw places will sell people anyhting and everything and don't care about the success or failure.

I have to be careful with my LFS as well as they can be pushy about what to buy and what not to buy. I'd change but the nearest specialty shop is an hour away while this one is only a few blocks.

Research is your best friend...even simple books can give the basics but be careful of when they were written. It seems that the technology, yes, even in the "fish" world, goes through the same types of cycles as everything else. A book written 10 years ago, for example, wouldn't have the fishless cycling method included. As well, equipment changes, is modified and improved and equipment previously thought to be the best, like undergravel filters, will now be something the new aquarist is warned to avoid.

Do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics store anywhere near? From personal experience their staff are pretty knowledgable ( in my local one they are all fish keepers themselves), aren't out to make a quick buck (they have refused to sell me certain types of fish based on what I have already) and are always happy for me just to pop in for a bit of advice.

I'll have to look for it. I don't think there is one :-S

My has recommended me to an aquatic store a little further away to call "local" I popped in today and had a really good chat with a woman there, she also offered to do water tests for me, offered to help me select which fish goes well with which and all sorts.

I am a lot more confident now, and am extremely happy with the service I got and have decided which fish I shall have. A few (4) Neons to start and then guppies (4).

Thank you all again so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom