Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Update: we have our gravel. Unfortunately the air pump we got is defective. I'm thinking maybe we should just send it back for a refund and get a powerhead instead. A reasonably nearby pet store has several of them, so that might be the best.

I rinsed our gravel for a long time, but it still seems to be quite dirty, judging by all the black stuff I see on the bits of coral and green gravel we added to our primary black substrate, lol. Oh well.

We also got our water conditioner, our test kit, and our fishy food. Our plants should be arriving next week. This seems to be the slowest process ever, but hopefully it will be good practice for when it's time to start cycling our tank.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #12

Our plants are scheduled to be delivered today! So excited. We have all our other equipment, and it's all set up. So once the plants get here, we'll fill the aquarium with water and start running the equipment.

The only thing that bothers me is that we don't have our cartridges for the power filter yet. But we do have our undergravel filter installed, so I'm not too concerned. I figure when the power filter cartridges arrive, we'll just throw 'em in and start up the filter. In the meantime the UGF should be enough, I think.

I can't wait to put our new plants in. Then our aquarium will start to feel real!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

I have the plants planted, but planting them made our tank all murky again - after I waited out the early murkiness so I could see to install the plants. Oh well. Shouldn't be too much longer till it all settles, hopefully.

Currently the undergravel filter is running and everything is looking good. I'm waiting to make sure the plants don't come floating back to the surface before I start up the power filter. I'm afraid of loose plants clogging up the filter! Once I'm relatively certain that the plants are going to stay put, I'll run the power filter. From what I can see, at any rate, the plants look beautiful. I'm so excited!

There's one last piece of our aquarium puzzle, and that's a piece of Malaysian driftwood I bought for our future pleco. It's soaking right now to hopefully get all the tannins leached out. I've saved a space for it. Looking forward to putting it in there when the time is right.

This is so much fun & I don't even have the fish in yet! lol
Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

Argh. Power filter won't start. I can hear it humming so I know it's getting electricity, but no water is going in. I took out the impeller & intake tube, took a good look - everything's clear, nothing seems to be blocking anything. I can't figure out what's keeping it from running. I'm keeping it plugged in for a little longer and then I'm going to say "forget it" and unplug it. And let my hubby take a look when he gets home. :P

Aside from that though, everything looks great. I think I may do my first water testing. Never done it before. Whee! LOL

ETA spoke too soon. It's working now! The impeller was seated improperly inside the filter. I fiddled with it a little while it was plugged in (always a risky proposition, but I was desperate, lol) and then voila! Water going in, water coming out, everything is awesome now.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Sounds like you are off to a good start!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

Thank you! What a coincidence, I was just looking at your stock in the Classified forum. I'm hoping you'll still have those purple passion danios by the time it's time to add fish.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #17

Did my 2nd water tests today. Interestingly enough, my ammonia level went down & my nitrite level went up. Not by much, either way, since there wasn't far for either to go, lol. Still thought it was interesting.

After the water cleared from my plantings, I discovered I have 2 itsy-bitsy snails that must have snuck in on the plants. Ordinarily I might freak, but I'm not now because a) I figure they can help get the BBs going, even if only a tiny bit, and b) they're SO CUTE! lol

So since I'm still fishless, I occasionally go to the aquarium and look for the snails. Sometimes I find them, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I find only one. Every time I do find one or both, I talk to them like I would fish. I'm hopeless.

Tomorrow I would love to travel to Tulsa (our closest big city) and see if we can find some danios we like in lieu of beginning our stock w/online-bought fish. I'm not hopeful though. The pet/fish stores around here have left me pretty incredulous with either the quality or the selection of fish. But maybe I'll get lucky. If we can get to Tulsa at all, that is!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might get lucky, almost every place stocks zebra danios. I have three regular colored ones, they don't look like much at first, but after you've had them a few months their colors get darker and their fins get longer, they're quite pretty!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

In the UK were not allowed to sell glofish
:/.
Ive never actually layed eyes on a living one
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #20

Sisserydoo, we'll see. I hope you're right. I've certainly seen zebras everywhere. The difficulty is that somehow I need to placate my older daughter, who's a little bummed that a betta is probably not going to fit in our stocking plans, lol. So whatever fish we get needs to make her happy.

Viperchaos, I've heard a lot of countries don't allow glofish. Even our state of California doesn't allow them. Such a bummer.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com