Hello from RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grgryhff62

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have been keeping fish for about 2 years i have a 35 gallon fresh water and a 55 gallon fresh water, i try to stick with the easiest fish since i am still fairly new i recently decided to try a planted tank which is currently under way i used scotts top soil capped with gravel and on top of that i put pool filter sand ,it has not cycled yet i planted it with some water wisteria,micro sword,java fern and some Fanwort well to my surprise a day later i saw hair on my plant so i contacted the lfs and told them about it and they said to put in some water conditioner ,so i pulled the hair off the plants and thought i was all set the next day i found out i also got some bugs that i thought wen i researched them that they were cyclops but two days later found out when they got bigger that they were in fact snails i have been running a 150 watt hps light only 6 hours a day trying to do a fishless cycle for about a week, i ended up having a problem with the snails eating some of my plants (as you probably already know that is quite a battle ) then i found out that the hair that i thought was human hair turned out to be green hair algae and with the light going the hair algae spread through out my tank at this point i removed as much as i could off of my plants but i have plant debris floating all over the place i have been trying to remove the plant debris but getting it all off of the pool filter sand seems to be almost impossible i almost want to rip the tank apart and start over but that doesn't sound too good to me either if anyone has a suggestion i would appreciate it. This is what brought me to become a member of this site i would like to expand my knowledge and learn from others who have experience :banghead:

Welcome to AA! I'm sorry to hear about your snail problem. The only thing I can think of to get rid of the snails is to buy a dwarf puffer or a loach that will eat them, but your tank is still cycling so that isn't a good idea right now. I'm not a fan of using any chemicals to get rid of them, so I can't help you there. The only thing I can suggest for now, is to pick them as you see them. This will not get rid of them though, as picking them out only reduces the population. :)

+1 for what GreenLily said. As far as the algae, Seachem Flourish EXCEL might help with that.

Welcome to the forums! And I didn't know you could use Scott's Top Soil, that's so cool! You learn something everyday

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

hi there sorry to hear about your tank problems
i have little tip about getting rid of the snails, if u put some sliced Cucumber around, u will have to weight it down as it tends to float. the next day u will find it covered in snails, just remove it with snails attached and replace with new, it realy helped me, it wont get rid of all but it will certainly cut down the population. i have a few loaches now and not a snail in sight hope this helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom