Hello from RVA! New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmalek321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all from richmond, VA! Been new to the hobby for a month now and am already realizing most of the fun of fish keeping comes from researching and reading about proper care/tips. Started out a month ago not knowing anything and after having spent hours browsing threads on this site it only just now occurred to me I should probably just make a profile so I can ask my own questions.

I have a 20 gallon long tank with 6 tiger barbs (I researched weeks before getting the tank and read a 20 long is fine for them) and am almost 5 weeks into the cycling process. I made the mistake of starting a fish in cycle since I didn't learn of fishless cycles until after I had already started. Anyways the barbs are healthy and active as ever. I do have several questions about cycling issues etc. that I've actually been able to answer just by reading several similar threads. My question is this, is it still okay to start new threads asking similar questions that have already been answered in other threads or is there a rule against such? I only ask because I've had 90% of my questions answered just by reading other threads however I feel it would be more helpful asking the questions myself.

Anyways glad I stumbled upon this thread and look forward to the many years to come!

Hello! I’m in RVA too! Welcome to the community :) I’ve been in the hobby for about 1.5 years. It’s lots of work but lots of fun too. And to answer your questions, yes, I believe it’s ok to start a new thread asking questions even though other people have asked similar ones. Read up as much as you can, though. Again, welcome!

Welcome to the board.

Heh, the barbs are always active :) It seems that our guy manages to gobble half of the ration of the entire tank. He is one chubby fish, but as soon as food is in he is torpedo fast.

I'd say if you don't find your question only partially answered then do post clarification to followup. I personally don't mind new threads that go "hi, I know that X and Y, I'm trying to wrap my hand around Z and here are my doubts." . Shows you did research. Can't promise I'm competent enough to answer though :)

Back
Top Bottom