hello from scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello im abby from scotland looking for some advice just went from a 65L tank to 125L tank i have two plecos three clown loaches two very big goldfishes and two x-ray-tetras, been keeping fish for about two years and now need advice myself. on why there swimming around erratically and banging:banghead: against the side of the tank checked ph it was 6.0 and 0.0 nitrate left the lighting off just now and covered the tank,all fish were moved safely and did'nt have any problems to begin with now when the lights are on they freak out:fish1::thanks:

Just wanted to welcome you here. Welcome !! Don't know answer though sorry. Do t know liters ether.

abby88 said:
its about 28 gallons

Oh ok what are the other parameters in the water like the ammonia? Make sure no one is getting bullied. Any signs of illness?

the ammonia is 0.0 and theres no bullying. not sure about illness i moved them from there old tank quite recently im trying hard not to stress them but whenever i turn the lights on they hide at the back of the tank and dart around don't know if it's ich or there scared of there own reflections????

abby88 said:
the ammonia is 0.0 and theres no bullying. not sure about illness i moved them from there old tank quite recently im trying hard not to stress them but whenever i turn the lights on they hide at the back of the tank and dart around don't know if it's ich or there scared of there own reflections????

Could be reflection because ich has white powdered spots on their body. You will know if you do.Don't think is symptom Do have them by a mirror ?

no mirror but the tank is very reflective and when they go near the glass thay dart away and the plecos and clown loaches are hiding.

also is 28 gallons enough for my fish???

abby88 said:
no mirror but the tank is very reflective and when they go near the glass thay dart away and the plecos and clown loaches are hiding.

also is 28 gallons enough for my fish???

Thinking just reflection since there is no signs of anything I know of. What kind of plecos do you have? Most are fine in 28G I'm pretty sure.

abby88 said:
two common plecos had them for a year

They need a bigger tank! They can grow up to "18-24" inches but it takes a couple of years don't really grow too fast.

i understand how big they will grow and as time passes the tanks are getting bigger and bigger we went from 14 gallons to 28 gallons to 40 until the tank size will be appropriateto house two plecos but just now there only small.

abby88 said:
i understand how big they will grow and as time passes the tanks are getting bigger and bigger we went from 14 gallons to 28 gallons to 40 until the tank size will be appropriateto house two plecos but just now there only small.

Ok just making sure you know they grow big. Don't want you to be surprised one day how big he is.

I believe your gold fishes and tropical fish have very different temperature and other needs. Gold fish like cool water. Your pH seems very low at 6. Two goldfish need a 30 gallon tank, by themselves. If you are testing your water with strips, chances are the readings are inaccurate. You need a liquid test kit. When you changed tanks did you transfer the old filter media, or start with fresh?

There is a lot on this site to help you research. Good luck!

I would suggest leaving the light on more and possibly turning on sum lamps or other lights n the room a few mins b4 turning ur aquarium lights on just a suggestion and I really think a bigger tank would help alot. Good luck

I believe your gold fishes and tropical fish have very different temperature and other needs. Gold fish like cool water. Your pH seems very low at 6. Two goldfish need a 30 gallon tank, by themselves. If you are testing your water with strips, chances are the readings are inaccurate. You need a liquid test kit. When you changed tanks did you transfer the old filter media, or start with fresh?

There is a lot on this site to help you research. Good luck!

yes i did use a liquid test and the readings are accurate did the test twice and i used a new filter and heater and had it running for 48 hours

abby88 said:
hello im abby from scotland looking for some advice just went from a 65L tank to 125L tank i have two plecos three clown loaches two very big goldfishes and two x-ray-tetras, been keeping fish for about two years and now need advice myself. on why there swimming around erratically and banging:banghead: against the side of the tank checked ph it was 6.0 and 0.0 nitrate left the lighting off just now and covered the tank,all fish were moved safely and did'nt have any problems to begin with now when the lights are on they freak out:fish1::thanks:

Hi and welcome to AA!
Unfortunately 28g isn't big enough for your fish even now sorry. You have some very big fish there and they need very big tanks with high filtration. The goldfish are cool water fish and require a different temperature to the rest of your fish. Are they fancy goldfish or common, comet or koi? If they are the latter three then they are pond fish and will reach 1-2 foot long. Just one common pleco needs a 125gallon tank. With two 200g+ would be needed. They can reach 2 foot long and, like goldfish, are VERY high waste producers so need extra filtration. Clown loaches get huge too. They also need 125g+ and have been known to reach the size of foot balls. They like to be kept in schools of 6 or more. X-ray tetras need schools of 6+ of their own kind. They are the only fish you own that are suitable for your tank.

I noticed you are using a new filter. Did you happen to keep the old media and use it in your new filter? If you didn't your tank will be cycling because you have thrown out your BB (beneficial bacteria).

A pH of 6 is quite low. Is it normally that? Fish can adapt to any pH as long as its stable.

They could be stressing from the move or from water conditions or both. If they are banging into the sides of the tank that sounds like stress and fear.

Back
Top Bottom