Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wink Hello from Seattle

I am new to the forum world. My boys & I have had a small 5g tank for just over a year now. We are pretty novice and trying to learn as much as we can so we can take the best care of our fish. We recently just lost a our small brown spotted Pleco. The boys & I are looking for a support/advice outlet to help make sure we are doing the best for our fish!!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi and welcome to AA!
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Here is a link that explains tank and fish care and the nitrogen cycle.
Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Ever consider upgrading to say a 10-20G? Not much harder to maintain, if not easier. It will open up far more options for you as far as stocking. A 29/30G is one of the best "small" tanks as far as im concerned. Anyway, good luck with any future plans and welcome!
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the family!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA great place!
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!! Our little 5g tank is down to just one lonely neon tetra. We are going out this weekend to get him some mates so that he doesn't get lonely. Any ideas on which kind of fish are best for that?
Also, I wanted to get a 10g tank aswell. Can I use my current filter in my 5g to cycle the new tank? how long should I wait until I put all the new mates together in the new tank?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Welcome, from another Washington resident (even though I live on the other end of the state)!
Did you read the link Mumma put up? Its got some good info about cycling. Yes, you can put the filter form the 5g into the 10g. It depends on what the filter is whether or not it will be enough filtration for the 10g.
Purchasing a test kit to keep an eye on water parameters really is the easiest way to know when the tank is ready IMO. If you go that routre, make sure to get a liquid kit, not test strips because the strips are not accurate. I recommend the API master kit for freshwater.
Just so you know, most of the common fish you see are a big big for a 10g tank, but there are still lots of really cool options for a 10g tank that will thrive.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-T-T
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!! Our little 5g tank is down to just one lonely neon tetra. We are going out this weekend to get him some mates so that he doesn't get lonely. Any ideas on which kind of fish are best for that?
Also, I wanted to get a 10g tank aswell. Can I use my current filter in my 5g to cycle the new tank? how long should I wait until I put all the new mates together in the new tank?
The best mates for a neon is more neons! They need schools of their own kind so 5 more neons friends will make him very happy. You can transfer the filter from the 5g straight to the 10g and move your neon and add his buddies. You will get a mini cycle because of the increased bioload so keep a close eye on parameters and do a water change as needed. Do you have a test kit? If not pick up a API master test kit while your out.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok couldn't wait!! New 10g tank is all set up. 'later' ( the last lonely tetra) now has 7 new tank mates. 'Haps' is our new pleco; have 4 new neons and 2 new tetra fish beside the neons. Switched out the tanks using the same filter, got the API master test kit ( thanks for the heads up on that); everything looks great except that the ph is pretty high. I am almost sure that it is because of the wood we put in for 'haps'!?!? Should I be concerned about the ph for tonight. Plan retesting everything in 24hrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3695976173.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	69227   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1155740601.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	69228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1638058973.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	69229  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-T-T
Ok couldn't wait!! New 10g tank is all set up. 'later' ( the last lonely tetra) now has 7 new tank mates. 'Haps' is our new pleco; have 4 new neons and 2 new tetra fish beside the neons. Switched out the tanks using the same filter, got the API master test kit ( thanks for the heads up on that); everything looks great except that the ph is pretty high. I am almost sure that it is because of the wood we put in for 'haps'!?!? Should I be concerned about the ph for tonight. Plan retesting everything in 24hrs
Nice little tank you have there!
Just a heads up that it looks like you've got a common pleco there and they grow to 2 foot long and aren't suited to a 10g.
What is your pH? Fish can adapt to pH so no need to change it. Good idea to test the water 24 hours after you add the fish. You are definitely going to have a mini cycle with all those new additions. Try and keep ammonia and nitrite under .25ppm with water changes so it doesn't harm your fish.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com