Hello from Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amethyst

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new to your forums, but not to the hobby. We had fish when I was a kid - mostly goldfish and guppies - and I've been wanting a tank in the waiting room of my psychology practice for years. Finally was able to set up a tank in my therapy room about 2 1/2 years ago, 47g tall tank, stocked it with livebearers and cories. Second tank was a 10g to use as a quarantine tank - after losing 1/2 of the fish I initially put in the 47g. Hadn't cycled it, didn't even know I should, and the guy at petco sold me 15 fish knowing it was a brand new tank. It had been up for a few days, but with no ammonia source. Anyway, after 7 or 8 of the original 15 died I bought a 10g, cycled it, slowly added stock back to my 47g. Since then I have aquired LOTS more tanks - never really intended to have so many, as I didn't plan to raise any of the fry, but... well, what can I say? I was fighting an outbreak of camellanus worms in my main tank, and had two fish that looked like they were weren't doing well, so I took them out and put them in the quarantine tank where I could keep a closer eye on them. The next day I had 23 platy fry and 54 guppy fry - turns out they weren't sick and bloated, just VERY pregnant. Upon discovering that a locally owned pet store would take the fry, once big enough to sell, in exchange for store credit, I decided to raise them. Soon bought a 20g long as a grow-out tank. I had also added another 10g, divided, with 2 bettas by then.

Long story short, I now have a total of 13 tanks :eek: ranging from 3.5g to 47g. At the moment most are housing growing guppies, platys, and swordtails. For details, see my profile.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom