Hello from Southern California!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDMac74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone my name is Sam and I am from Colton, Ca. I have been keeping Fish for over 20 years now and I have received a lot of info from this site. THANK YOU!! I currently have 2 fresh water aquariums in my living room. A 60 gallon planted South American Cichlid tank and an 18 gal hex low light breeder tank with Java moss as my only plants in it. The Hex is very simple - 10w T5 aqua glo, river rock and lace rock substrate, Aqua Clear 20, 100w Stealth heater, 3 female and 3male guppies, 2 Dwarf frogs, 3 Oto's, and a beat up juvenile Angel that I am nursing for a friend that thought it would be funny to drop a Red Devil in his community tank! Not a sound decision!! Now to my main tank - 60 gallon planted South American Cichlid tank. DIY Co2, 260w power compact Lunar AquaLight with 2 10K and 2 6700K bulbs. My Filtration is fairly simple as I have 2 Emporer 280's with peat and polishing cloth in 1 and peat and a course filter pad in the other. No carbon or chemicals/fertiliser ever added to my tank with th. exception of NovAqua+ for removal of chlorine. I am using A 3" gravel bed of Pure Flourite. I mixed the natural, red and Black Sand together for a natural appearance. My plants are all hardy due to the fish I keep in this tank, which include - Java Fern, 4 Amazon Swords, started with one and propagated the other 3, Jungle Val, and a Flowering Onion plant. I use a 275w Stealth heater to keep this tank at 82 degrees and my PH is 6.7 - 6.9 depending on night-day cycle. My Bio load consists of a pair of RED Severums, 3 Angels, 4 Firemouths, 3 Convicts, and 1 beautiful adult male Blue Ram. As I mentioned before some of these fish were taken in from Someone who has no clue about the fish he was keeping. They are all young fish and OK for the time being. I know this is WAY too much for a 60 gallon tank if they were adults. I need to find a home for the Ram, angels and a 4 stripe Clown Loach and A Golden Dojo Loach. Eventually I will have only 3 pairs of fish, so 2 Firemouths, and 1 Convict will need homes as well. I will buy more tanks. :) I am Relatively new to the planted aquarium (only about 6 years now) but I have extensive knowledge in keeping African Cichlids. From all 3 Rift Lakes. That was my passion for a long time. Right now I have no Questions, but I am sure I will. If anyone has questions about my set-up Or in general I would be very happy to answer them. Sorry this is so long - kinda got carried away. :) Thank you for listening and look forward to chatting with ALL of you!!!!! Sam

Back
Top Bottom