Hello from Southwest Missouri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

My name is Dave and I'm new to the forum and saltwater fish. Just getting my order together now and will have the pieces parts rolling in within a couple of weeks. Sorry, no pictures yet. Not much knowledge yet either. I'll probably just lurk and read and search before I start plaguing the board with silly questions.

Here's what I'm looking at:

150 - 170 gallon rectangular glass aquarium, pre-drilled, glass lids. Looking for a tall model that isn't any longer than 48".
Probably oak stand. I have to brace my floor (wood joists over crawl space construction that I'm sure won't hold the ton plus).
Likely wet/dry filtration or berlin.
Probably 2 circulators.
Lighting system that will keep coral happy (lots of metal halides).
Live sand bottom with sculptured live rock. I'm thinking of using stainless steel rod, drilling the rock, and forming canopies so the critters that don't want to get blinded by halides can hang out under them.
Heater in sump (or something like that).

Inhabitants:

Would really like a zebra moray, lions, anglers, maybe scorpions, lots of invertibrates, clams, corals, and any good colorful fish I can put in that won't be lunch for the above. I'd like anemones and clownfish too if I can figure out a variety that the others won't eat. (advice appreciated)

I'll probably do my setup within the next month or two and buy all of the salt, sand, rock, and additives and let it stabilize for a few weeks. We'll try to get used to testing the water and the filtration and other things. From there, I'd like to start working on the corals and inverts. Once they're all happy then I'll start with the most docile to the most aggressive in my growing fish list.

Hope to learn a lot from people here.

Thanks

Welcome to AA!:smilecolros:

We're gonna wanna tweak that wish list a bit.

Inverts don't fare too well with your fish choices. They'll become as meal.

Also, the wet dry. Look up sumps and refugiums and see whatcha think. more natural and without bio-balls that wet dry systems use.

Again, welcome and keep us posted on your progress.

Also, check the articles at this site. Particularly on cycling the tank. That plan to fill it up and add additives and let it settle for a few weeks can be improved on too. We'll help.

Back
Top Bottom