Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello from Texas

Hi everyone!

I recently decided to get back into the hobby after a ten or so year absence from it. During those ten years I unfortunately didn't live in places that allowed aquariums, or just didn't live in one place long enough to really make it worth while.

The last tank I kept was a planted 125g with various south and central American fish.

During a visit to Petsmart I saw a 56 column tank + stand on sale and it inspired me, so I began the (exhaustive) search to find it elsewhere. I just couldn't abide by the MDF stand it came with. After weeks of searching I had found it in the wrong (oak) trim, with the wrong stands, in overpriced package deals that would have given me equipment that I didn't want, et cetera.

So now I've finally found a local place that will order it for a reasonable price, which puts it about on the level with the Petsmart deal. Unfortunately, none of these place carry, or apparently can't order the real wood stand that goes with it, in the right finish. (30x18) I'm going to build the stand instead, but I don't think it'll measure up to the truly epic stand that I used to have. It had this great industrial feel to it... dark mahogany, two tiers, the top of it was narrowly spaced 1" boards sat on their side instead of flat, and the whole thing had these massive, old looking iron bolts that held it together. Weighed a ton, but it accomodated everything I had and looked like it might have been significantly older than me

Anyways, hi again, I look forward to chatting about aquaria!

Rokuzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Welcome to AA!

DreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked craigslist? I know the quality may not be the same, but most people that are selling their tanks are trying to get rid of it a month before moving. I've noticed people selling 125g reef tanks for $5000, then 1-2 months later they're trying to get rid of it for $1000 or less. I haven't gone this route, but you can save a ton of money.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome Abroad to AA.... What part of Texas are you in?
mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently in Austin!

I check Craigslist once in a while, and there've been some awesome deals on it. Space is basically my problem, which is why I've been hunting the 56 column. I like the width and its about the perfect size to fit in the space I have and still leave some room for easy maintenance.

I've seen posts as far back as 2004 on various forums concerning the 56 column so I know its not a brand new thing, and its by Marineland, but man was it hard to find.

Rokuzachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com