Hello from the UK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my name is Russ, I'm 33 and live in the UK. I've always been fascinated by fish ever since my dad had 2 5ft tanks when I was a kid. One was tropical and the other was coldwater. I've only got the fish bug back in November 2013 when my sister bought my 1 year old son his first fish tank. So it was my job to set the tank up! It was only a small plastic tank, 14 litres. It came with a filter, gravel, plastic plant and a nemo ornament. After doing some online research I added a heater, thermometer and a air pump & stone. I didn't have a clue about cycling a tank properly so I set the tank up and let it run for a week adding nutrafin cycle and nutrafin aqua plus. After a week I added 2 platys. Another week had passed and I was told I could add 2 more fish so I added 2 guppies. My son loved the tank and the "shish" as he calls them! I also fell in love with the tank and fish. I researched most days about aquariums on what to do and what not to do, I really enjoyed it. I did lose one of the guppies to disease unfortunately. A few months ago one if the platys had fry! Only 2 had survived and there still going strong now. Having recently done a water change I have found 11 new fry in this tiny tank!! View attachment 232516Having got the bug of looking after my sons fish tank and having a over populated small tank, I decided to buy myself a bigger tank. I bought a juwel rekord 700 which is 70 litres and decided I wanted to have live plants in it. I did my research as usual as to how I set it up correctly including research on the nitrogen cycle. I'm currently in day 12 of the cycle and things are progressing well. Here is a picture of my new tank on day 1 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397084833.901524.jpg and this is a picture if the tank on day 12 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397084908.631624.jpg Any help and advice from people on here would be most welcome. Thanks guys ?

Hi. Also in the UK, near Leeds.
Tank looking good. Are you going for live-bearers, children especially like the whole life cycle.
Good luck with the plants. I have my tank chocker with plants and the fish love it. Keeps the waster more stable as well, nitrates rarely exceed 5.
Post some more pics when your fish are in.

Hi. Also in the UK, near Leeds.
Tank looking good. Are you going for live-bearers, children especially like the whole life cycle.
Good luck with the plants. I have my tank chocker with plants and the fish love it. Keeps the waster more stable as well, nitrates rarely exceed 5.
Post some more pics when your fish are in.

Hi, thanks. I'm pleased how my first planted tank had turned out so far. I'm a bit worried about the plants. They are growing well but some of them are going black! Do you know why this is? I was advised on getting platys as my first fish as they are easy to keep. They have had fry too! I've got 12 that are about 2 weeks old and 2 that are about 3 months I think. Yeah I will put some more pics up when the fish are in. Do you have any pics? Be great to see your tank ?

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. You asked for a pic of my planted tank. It's now about 8 months from being set up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397458447.226630.jpg
It is a fair amount if work but I think it's worth it. Good luck with your tank.

Back
Top Bottom