Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello from UK

I have just joined this site and hope that I can get ideas and I dare say help when I'm stuck. I am totally new to this hobby and am in the process of starting a marine tank. I began one about 6 weeks ago, had fantastic live rock in place and was testing each week in prep from the long awaited clown fish and nem. I went on holiday for a week and came back to find brown algea all over the tank. I treated with as advised by the local dealer, but things went from bad to worse so I have started all over again. Keeping fingers crossed this time and I'm not giving up!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA .... Sadly your lfs probably just wanted a sale.so they offered chemical treatment :/ you could have just done some water changes siphoning out the algae and give it a dark period since its empty still to kill off the algae and been a quick fix. Any questions you have bring them here first where no one is gonna make a profit from your decision

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply, I think I'm learning the hard way ( and expensive ) but hopefully this site will save me!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trust me you will meet wonderful people on here more then willing to help and even maybe locally. I've noticed more and more people in the UK joining so maybe you get lucky cause from what I hear getting rarer fish can be difficult for you guys across the pond : /
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

I hope so. I've waited so long for a tank that I'd be happy with a couple of cleaner shrimp at the moment! The first lot of live rock I had was full of life and I spent ages watching for movement and worms. Call me easily pleased I guess

I'm in Reading Berkshire, so if any other locals read this thread feel free to get in touch.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your not the only one I enjoyed watching my one snail and amphipods that hitchiked in until I got my first fish haha this is an amazing hobby though and you should open up a build thread which will get everyone involved to keep you on the right track from start to finish
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! I'm from UK! Whereabouts are you from? Hope you like the site so far!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com