Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello from western KY :)

Hi all!

I am new as an aquarium hobbyist and have found myself in love with aquascapes.

It all started with a little $5 sea monkey kit. I swore I would not be interested in maintaining an aquarium (my childhood experience with them was bad as my mother hated the family tank.) However, I found quickly that I thoroughly enjoyed learning about it and experimenting. I quickly purchased some triops that came with a somewhat larger container. I purchased a 5 gallon with the intent of using it for the larger triops for my children to enjoy watching. However, I was never able to get the triops to live long after hatching and found I had invested a ton of money on what should have been left more simple.
Then, my partner and I allowed the kids to go to wal-mart and pick out fish...big mistake! I didn't know much about their needs and we ended up with a bala, lacefin cat, molly, glo-fish.....etc. Too wide a range in too small a tank, or so I was soon to find out.
Then, in a panic we bought a 10 gal...just to have more room for them. During which time my son (5 years old) fell in love with a dinosaur bichir and of course, as cool as he looked, we brought him home. Then we did a little more research and realized that the bala was supposed to have "friends" and was going to get BIG! And the dinosaur bichir was going to get BIGGER! The search for a 50 gallon tank was on!
We went to the LFS and fell absolutely head over heels in LOVE with a beatiful 125 gallon promo kit.....and now it is sitting in my living room cycling out. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to ME!!!!!

Glad to be here and looking forward to discussions, as I have high ambitions and am very scattered right now. I have learned a lot, but am still a novice. However, very excited to get started!

Much aquatic enjoyment to you all,

pamelarowley57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for sharing and welcome to AA.

RedFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
nasort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You're in the right place! Welcome!
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome, thanks for joining AA!
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Pamela, and family, and welcome to the AA forum! We're glad you found us. How exciting to be cycling a big, beautiful tank for the holidays. You'll find all the information, as well as any needed advice, on this forum for sure. Have fun!!!
starquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com