Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, Great Forum

I was just surfing the web tonight looking for some info about .... tropical fish keeping ... of all things and came across your forum here .... looks great ! It's always fun to chat with like minded folks about your hobbies.

If you've read my profile you'll know I currently have four tanks up and running .... three ten gallon tanks with various goldfish for some of the kids in my life and a twenty gallon that I call my own. I like the twenty gallon but would really like to have a 55 gallon tank ... just no room in my small apartment. My girlfriend wants me to move in with her in her house ... that would solve the room for a larger tank but would create other issues .... lol But that's another story

OK ... my tank setup ... it's a twenty gallon low. I am running a under-gravel filter plus a back filter. I have it decorated with a piece of petrified wood, a large lava rock, various plastic and real plants, some misc. seashells and rocks, and green gravel. I have a commercial background (that I don't really like) but everyone says it looks good so ...

Fish ... I have a red fire dwarf gourami (that's my favorite), a male and a female striped gourami, 3 Buenos Aries Tetras, a small pictus cat and a bristle nose pleco .... also a gold mystery snail.

I keep my fish on a varied diet of frozen brine shrimp, tetra-min flakes, sinking shrimp pellets, small floating cichlid pellets, and spirulina wafers.

I do a 30% partial water change at least every two weeks ... sometimes more often. I do use water conditioner to ease things up on the fish ... city water ya know.

Two weeks ago my fish got ick .... don't know how ... I lost my bala shark but the rest are all well now. I replaced the bala shark with the pictus cat. we'll see how that works out.

I would really like to give breeding some gouramis a try. I'm sure I can find lots of useful advise right here !!!

kz750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Bala sharks need a fifty five gallon at least, and the pleco needs no smaller then a thirty! And every tank gets ick at some point. Had my first case last week... Wiped out everybody but one little tetra. But since you are planning an upgrade you should be fine! Good luck! And how many goldfish do you have in each of those ten gallons? They are super messy and most people here say ten gallons per goldfish!

Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the welcome and advise ....
kz750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com