Hello I'm New and scared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antmantis1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new here and recently lost a goldfish it shook me up a little bit.and took my courage and love for fish. I've always been around them and since I'm in college I decided to get two goldfish a black moor and fatal. I bought a 10 gallon fishes cycles it for two months and added fish that I got from Walmart. Sadly one day after the black moor died. I was concerned more for the fantaol because of it top fin being white but it is doing fine. Sunabella is her name. And Eclipse her husband has passed. Please i came here for.help not to be hurt and guidance and love will be appreciated. I'm concerned about her and her top fin is turning white while she OS gold please help.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110820_194443.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110820_194443.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 69
welcome to the site. sorry to hear about your goldfish. you said you did a fishless cycle. what are your nitrate, nitrite, ph and ammonia levels right now? i don't have any gold fish but i know they give off a lot of ammonia so it's very important to test for that. you should get an api liquid test kit. they are the liqid test kits that everyone on this site recommends for accurate numbers. if you only have the test strips at least do that test asap so you know your water parameters. post when you have them. maybe someone else that has goldfish experience will have a response for the white fin.

Okay so I used a test strip and the reading was .25. Which OS supposed to be safe I'm really trying to invest in the api test kit but college funds are tight. Do you know where I can get one other than online. I really love my fish. Sunabella swims around the tank happily but I'm still concerned for her health. Her fins flow beautifully but the fin on her.back is really small not torn but is covered in white stuff not dots its like a cloud really. Im also going to invest in a bigger tank about a 30 gallon and a air pump. I'm not a bad person I know I'm wrong for using a ten gallon but the down in Walmart looked sad so I took them. After my fishless cycle.

i don't think you're bad. :) if your ammonia level is .25 you need to do a water change asap. in a 10 gal i would change out 5 gals. make sure you use a water conditioner in the tap water you add. i think petsmart sells the liquid test kit. if not the kit, they do sell them separately i believe. the white you see on your fish could be ammonia burn. i'm not sure but i know that your fish will be happier after a water change. if you aren't using a filter in you 10 gal. you should change the water everyday until you get one. about 50% i would think. check some of the different threads on this site. they might have one on gold fish. i think the most important thing now is that water change. test again after you change out the water. ammonia should be 0.

Okay I will update you tomorrow I got to get ready for the morning. Early school shopping. I probably will have everything this week I have a filter couldn't forget that. I'll make sure everything is good.

:welcome: to AA! :)

Okay I will update you tomorrow I got to get ready for the morning. Early school shopping. I probably will have everything this week I have a filter couldn't forget that. I'll make sure everything is good.

Okay, it sounds good. To keep from doing massive water changes, I would suggest a bigger tank, the bigger the tank the more you can cut some slack on your water changes.

Okay so a miracle happened last night my goldie is swimming happily and gracefully like normal. Then I noticed the fin on her back..... I got taller and there is only a spec of white cloud on her don. I was so happy then I fed her and she gobbled it down. I'm still scared though she seems happy and great. She's a monster when she eats lop. You can see her on YouTube my username is antmantis1.

One more thing my fantail gills arnt moving they move once in a while. Isn't this bad what should I do.

Back
Top Bottom