Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
Welcome to AA! Stoked to see your tanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytron View Post
Wendi, if you click on "My Tanks" below the person's username in the left column, it will display the description of the person's tanks (if they have entered it)

the OP has a 10g... i'm also curious to know what kinda fishies! pics are always welcomed!!!
Thank you, that is so cool. I haven't been part of AA long enough to notice. that little"my tank" over there.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytron View Post
Wendi, if you click on "My Tanks" below the person's username in the left column, it will display the description of the person's tanks (if they have entered it)

the OP has a 10g... i'm also curious to know what kinda fishies! pics are always welcomed!!!
Thank you, that's cool. I haven't been a member of AA long enough
to notice that little "My Tank" over there.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA (Aquarists Anonymous - we're all a little obsessed with fish ). I love this site because you can always learn something new and everyone is willing to help. Hope you enjoy it too!

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=OhNeil1969;1201376]Welcome to AA (Aquarists Anonymous - we're all a little obsessed with fish ). I love this site because you can always learn something new and everyone is willing to help. Hope you enjoy it too![/QUOTE
Everyone here on AA is so supportive of our "Disease" of fish addiction. They support you all the way to your LFS and when you come back, they're great.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to avcc
Hi sorry i didnt even think about tropical being salt water. I always call salt water marine and fw tropical. I have fresh water but 3 years ago i did have marine but when u loose a £20+ fish each time it starts getting expensive so i went to fw. I dont have many fish in my 10g tank but i will have more in my 50g. At the min i own 2 siver sharks, 2 leopard spot plecos and 2 coolie loaches. I havent figured out how to add photos yet. Im using my iphone as i broke my laptop so ill add photos wen ive figured it out. 1 question tho if anyone can answer it. Do u think a bigger silver shark will hurt a smaller silver shark? They r the same breed but do u think they know that.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Had ago at putting pics on here with my phone but it wont let me so ill add pics wen i can get online properly
Old 01-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well ive figured out i can attach pics but i cant add a album but heres a few for now. I have got any decent shark pics cos they move to fast but heres my leopard pleco and the starting up of my new tank. The pleco isnt in the new tank btw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3858442760.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	27207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3970734233.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	27208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3451032061.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	27209  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcc View Post
Hi sorry i didnt even think about tropical being salt water. I always call salt water marine and fw tropical. I have fresh water but 3 years ago i did have marine but when u loose a £20+ fish each time it starts getting expensive so i went to fw. I dont have many fish in my 10g tank but i will have more in my 50g. At the min i own 2 siver sharks, 2 leopard spot plecos and 2 coolie loaches. I havent figured out how to add photos yet. Im using my iphone as i broke my laptop so ill add photos wen ive figured it out. 1 question tho if anyone can answer it. Do u think a bigger silver shark will hurt a smaller silver shark? They r the same breed but do u think they know that.
Hi acvv,
I did some research on Silver (aka:Bala) Shark and they are known for being peaceful.
Except if kept in a Tank that's to small. From what I gather, when in a tank that's to small, they start to behave like a large horse in a small stall that never, ever gets out.
My Mom has horses, and if they are left in the stall for even a few days, due to the weather, they'll rip the barn down trying to get out.
They will become aggressive and pick on smaller tank mates if they are in an environment smaller than 180cm (over here 72" or 6')..
So I would say that yes they will pick on a smaller Shark if left in your 50g tank.
Now there are always exception, but its rare. So I wouldn't count on being the exception to save the smaller fish. You could maybe get away with a 5'/60" long tank but not half of what they need.
Think of your Silver Shark as a Thoroughbred horse, Silver/Bala love to swim fast. And just like a thoroughbred, if a Silver Shark doesn't get the room to run so to speak, they will act crazy. The longer they go without, the crazier they get. It may also shorten their life span as it does with other large breeds of fish.
That's my 2 cents worth. All I know about the behavior of Silver/Bala Sharks.
I hope it's useful for you.
Wendi
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com