Hello, I'm new. .. needing angelfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SusieQ44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had angelfish before and tried having babies. I never got to far. This time I'm starting over and I find 2 angelfish at a pet store and they looked like they were a pair since they were fighting off everyone else. I brought them home and sure enough workout even realizing it they had babies. I missed the eggs and everything. I have 4 or five wigglers that seem to be doing fine. I found them 1 week ago. However the new parents just laid some more eggs.

1)These are the things... I'm worried about. I do not have rocks on the bottom. I need to clean the poop out but I'm scared I will accidently get the fry

2) I'm worried the new parents will eat them when the new babies start swimming. I only have the one tank.

Can I put a divider in? ? Should I get another small tank. I have always wanted this problem but have given up before and sold my other tank's.
I do appreciate any advice you can give me! I don't have a lot of money. I just don't want to screw up this time. They laid the eggs today and only 5 or 6 were white. I know this means those were not fertilized. It looks like a total of 25 or 30.
Thank you again,
God bless you,
SusieQ44

I have had angelfish before and tried having babies. I never got to far. This time I'm starting over and I find 2 angelfish at a pet store and they looked like they were a pair since they were fighting off everyone else. I brought them home and sure enough workout even realizing it they had babies. I missed the eggs and everything. I have 4 or five wigglers that seem to be doing fine. I found them 1 week ago. However the new parents just laid some more eggs.

1)These are the things... I'm worried about. I do not have rocks on the bottom. I need to clean the poop out but I'm scared I will accidently get the fry

2) I'm worried the new parents will eat them when the new babies start swimming. I only have the one tank.

Can I put a divider in? ? Should I get another small tank. I have always wanted this problem but have given up before and sold my other tank's.
I do appreciate any advice you can give me! I don't have a lot of money. I just don't want to screw up this time. They laid the eggs today and only 5 or 6 were white. I know this means those were not fertilized. It looks like a total of 25 or 30.
Thank you again,
God bless you,
SusieQ44

Success in raising multiple spawns in the same tank is not an easy thing to do unless you are dealing with a rather large and long tank where the old babies can get away from the parents when they spawn again. Whether that fits your situation is an unknown as every Angelfish can be different. Sometimes they will just eat their last spawn to protect their next spawn. So if you really want to have multiple spawns, you would be better served having multiple tanks.
One of the nice things about Angels is that they spawn frequently so if you miss a spawn or lose a spawn, there is usually another one within a couple of weeks to replace it. The fact that your spawn is only 25-30 eggs sounds like these are new young spawners so you should have many spawns to work with over time. Angels can produce as many as 800-100 eggs per spawn once they really get going. :eek:

I suggest before you go any further, you read through the following thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

This was an ongoing discussion by both hobbyist and pro Angelfish breeders and just about everything you need to know about breeding and raising these fish was discussed on the thread. It's a long one for a reason. There's a lot of information within it because there is a lot of information to know when breeding fish. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Success in raising multiple spawns in the same tank is not an easy thing to do unless you are dealing with a rather large and long tank where the old babies can get away from the parents when they spawn again. Whether that fits your situation is an unknown as every Angelfish can be different. Sometimes they will just eat their last spawn to protect their next spawn. So if you really want to have multiple spawns, you would be better served having multiple tanks.
One of the nice things about Angels is that they spawn frequently so if you miss a spawn or lose a spawn, there is usually another one within a couple of weeks to replace it. The fact that your spawn is only 25-30 eggs sounds like these are new young spawners so you should have many spawns to work with over time. Angels can produce as many as 800-100 eggs per spawn once they really get going. :eek:

I suggest before you go any further, you read through the following thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

This was an ongoing discussion by both hobbyist and pro Angelfish breeders and just about everything you need to know about breeding and raising these fish was discussed on the thread. It's a long one for a reason. There's a lot of information within it because there is a lot of information to know when breeding fish. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

This does help a lot. They are brand new at this, I think. I noticed today that there were a lot of white eggs in the mix. I am purchasing a second tank so I can put the babies separate. Should I put the pair in the smaller tank? I have read the post you were talking about last night. Thank you for your time! :fish1: :)

This does help a lot. They are brand new at this, I think. I noticed today that there were a lot of white eggs in the mix. I am purchasing a second tank so I can put the babies separate. Should I put the pair in the smaller tank? I have read the post you were talking about last night. Thank you for your time! :fish1: :)

It depends on how small the other tank is. :whistle: For me, my breeders have always needed less room than the fry did but then again, I am usually working with a couple hundred eggs and fry at a time. ;) There is quite a bit of things that need to happen before the egg is a viable fry that can be moved and care for itself ( so to speak) so you need to be working the whole process. These are not like livebearer fry which can be moved as soon as they are born. Many lose fry at the point where they go from just wiggling to swimming so don't be disappointed if the first batch or 2 don't work out. Thankfully, Angels give you a lot of chances to get it right. ;) (y)

piut in a lot of live plants as cover for babies and to cut back your need to vacuum. feed them a lot of live or frozen foods and make sure theyre fed often. as long as the plants take care of the waste, help the babies hide, and the parents are full, you should have a lot of babies survive.

I have put plants in.. Only two I think made it from the second batch. They are being real nice to both sets. The second tank I bought is a35 gallon. I haven't got it ready yet. I think I will use the bigger one for a grow out tank. How old before I can separate them??? I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

You can separate the fry from the parents as soon as they hatch. The parent's job after hatching is only for protection. If they are by themselves, the parents aren't really needed.

Welcome to the forum. I wish I could help but I don't know much about angelfish

Back
Top Bottom