Hello im new to this fourm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOFLO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello iv had my 65 gallon tank for almost 2 years now I started off with a traditional Florida tank, Florida gar large mouth bass etc I then started getting into the chiclids I've been doing them now for a little over a year I recently moved from Florida to Iowa and brought my tank with me, I had 3 fish come up with me 1 jewel chiclid one green terror and one jack Dempsey the only one to make it was the jewel and he is amazing right now. I now have a flower horn a large jack Dempsey 2 jewels yellow electric blue electric peacock albino chiclid and orange chiclid (don't know the correct name) a bumble bee, a red something the name is right in front of me and 2 plecos. I just recently had a chiclid die one me I don't k ow why but I think it has to do with my water, all my fish are opening and closing there mouths really quickly. Can somebody help?

My nitrates are 160-200 which is unsafe ph is kinda acidic my alkalinity is low. This is the first time this has happened since I got my tank, I did a half water change about 3 weeks ago but used distilled water

SOFLO said:
My nitrates are 160-200 which is unsafe ph is kinda acidic my alkalinity is low. This is the first time this has happened since I got my tank, I did a half water change about 3 weeks ago but used distilled water

Ok that is VERY high. They need to be 20ppm or lower. Doing a water change every 3 weeks isn't enough. You need to be doing at least 50% weekly. for now you need to do multiple large water changes daily until you get the nitrates under control. Don't use distilled water. It doesn't contain any minerals needed for a stable pH, fish and plant health. Your tap water and water conditioner is preferred. Don't mess with the pH at all. Adding chemicals to do this can be deadly. Most fish can adjust to any pH as long as its stable. Fluctuations in pH can kill.
Can I get you to google Old Tank Syndrome?

Ya I have a water tester strip and I almost had a heart attack when i saw it, tomorrow morning I'm going to go to pet co and get water conditioner and do a MAJOR water change, Nitrates that hi are from fish waste right? Cuz if so my 2 plecos and crapping machines. I just had to take one of my smaller blue electrics out and put him in a 1 gallon tank with an air-rator cause he was laying down at the borrow but he's swimming now

And I googled old tank syndrome I have it haha

SOFLO said:
And I googled old tank syndrome I have it haha

You sure do!
It's going to take days of water changes to bring it down but its really needed for the health if your fish. The more fish crap the more ammonia is made. The more ammonia, the more nitrite. The more nitrite, the more nitrate. So without water changes nitrate keeps rising and rising until the fish can't handle it any longer. Anything over 20-40ppm starts to get toxic.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Can I get you to read this please.

Ya I did a fish in cycling, my method might not have been the best but it did work, I filled up my tank with water went out back to the lake I lived one threw my 10 foot cast net pulled it in an had about 25 fish in it so I put them in my tank and did water changes every day for about a month then took them out and added new fish. Now iv honestly just gotten lazy, I'm 19 years old and don't know everything and will take as much advice as i can get. I have another question mu water temp is about 78 degrees the water that comes out of my tap which comes out at about 60 should I be worried?

SOFLO said:
Ya I did a fish in cycling, my method might not have been the best but it did work, I filled up my tank with water went out back to the lake I lived one threw my 10 foot cast net pulled it in an had about 25 fish in it so I put them in my tank and did water changes every day for about a month then took them out and added new fish. Now iv honestly just gotten lazy, I'm 19 years old and don't know everything and will take as much advice as i can get. I have another question mu water temp is about 78 degrees the water that comes out of my tap which comes out at about 60 should I be worried?

All good that what AA is for!
A few degrees difference isn't anything to worry about but 18 is. You have a couple of options.
Fill buckets or tubs with water and bring it up to temp with a heater or adding water from the hot tap.
OR
Connecting a hose/python water changer to the tap in the kitchen/bathroom/etc and running hot and cold water at the same time to desired temperature. Make sure you add dechlorinator/conditioner to treat the entire volume of the tank not just the new water.

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Ok that is VERY high. They need to be 20ppm or lower. Doing a water change every 3 weeks isn't enough. You need to be doing at least 50% weekly. for now you need to do multiple large water changes daily until you get the nitrates under control. Don't use distilled water. It doesn't contain any minerals needed for a stable pH, fish and plant health. Your tap water and water conditioner is preferred. Don't mess with the pH at all. Adding chemicals to do this can be deadly. Most fish can adjust to any pH as long as its stable. Fluctuations in pH can kill.
Can I get you to google Old Tank Syndrome?
^^ this is important
A stable tank is key to fish health,big PH or temp swings are not good for your fish, it can cause stress which weakens their immune system. A healthy stress free fish can resist most infections and illness, when they get stressed then you start to see Ich and other infections happen. Some fish do prefer a certain PH but unless you are experienced with keeping PH at a certain level it is best to just leave it alone, your fish will be fine :).

I did a water change and they seem to b better although I had to use water from a hose and it was kinda chilly, I didn't have a connector for mu faucet but I got one now. I only lost one fish, the peacock :/

Back
Top Bottom