Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Ok that is VERY high. They need to be 20ppm or lower. Doing a water change every 3 weeks isn't enough. You need to be doing at least 50% weekly. for now you need to do multiple large water changes daily until you get the nitrates under control. Don't use distilled water. It doesn't contain any minerals needed for a stable pH, fish and plant health. Your tap water and water conditioner is preferred. Don't mess with the pH at all. Adding chemicals to do this can be deadly. Most fish can adjust to any pH as long as its stable. Fluctuations in pH can kill.
Can I get you to google Old Tank Syndrome?
^^ this is important
A stable tank is key to fish health,big PH or temp swings are not good for your fish, it can cause stress which weakens their immune system. A healthy stress free fish can resist most infections and illness, when they get stressed then you start to see Ich and other infections happen. Some fish do prefer a certain PH but unless you are experienced with keeping PH at a certain level it is best to just leave it alone, your fish will be fine .

darkmatter_3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did a water change and they seem to b better although I had to use water from a hose and it was kinda chilly, I didn't have a connector for mu faucet but I got one now. I only lost one fish, the peacock :/

SOFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I'm sorry you lost one I'm glad the others are doing better. The faucet adapter will make a huge difference for you and your fish. Keep up those water changes!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com