Hello - I'm still learning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soggydrysuit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking around for other takes on a marine fish only forum and found this site - I've been looking about on here and found this a very interesting forum.

Thought it was a bit rude to lurk, so here I am!

I'm in the north west of the UK and have been keeping fish since I bullied my parents into getting me goldfish and then tropials but that doesn't mean I've kept them as well as I could.

I think this hobby is incurable!

At the moment, I have one FOWLR with a Rollands and a regal damsel plus aptasia pest nems for added interest and have just finished building (bodging?) a sumped 190 litre Fluval venezia corner tank - this for a QT or just to have two tanks the same size.

Anyway best regards,

Andrew

Quite a few years ago I had thirteen smallish tanks and outdoor pond and and indoor stock vat. That was a bit too obsessive, even for me!

Oddly I seemed to gravitate to brackish puffers but did manage a tank of H. reidii seahorses for a couple of years.

These days, I have to pick just one area so am thinking about of the definitely not coral friendly butterfly's but the tank size I have will limit me to just one or two...

Anyone have any ideas about a guard on my internal glass overflow weir on my build tank? It's about three by five inches cross section siliconed around two drilled standpipe drains (main and emergency)? I've tried making something from plastic mesh and cable ties but may have to silicone the mesh on?

Sump works anyway!

Good news sump works [emoji106]

Think I’ve seen slotted ones here so maybe was siliconed in - will have to look closer at school one the society maintains.

I don't think I can use those, weir combs I think because I might flood the display tank.

Maybe I could silicone some of the polyethylene (no metal) mesh I have to the top of the overflow?

My three bits of glass are nineteen and a half inches tall (I think) and the display tank glass twenty and a half.

Any help appreciated!

An alternative to siliconing a weir or mesh is to use the plastic strip from glass canopies. You can drill holes or cut slots in it. It should fit snuggly at the top of the overflow and can be removed as needed for adjustments
IMG_6340.jpg

Many thanks for that - I wouldn't have come up with that idea on my own!

Appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom