Hello Just Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudhog79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I have just decided to setup a small aquarium, specifically a Fluval Spec V for my 3 year old.

My plans for this tank is to let my daughter pick out a few things to put into the tank. I would like to put a few plants in the tank. I like the algae balls, i have seen some small grass looking plants, possibly micro sword. I would also like to get some taller plants in the back. I will probably also do some drift wood with flame moss or something to make it look like a tree. I would also like one small fish and some small colorful shrimp.

If there an easy way to keep the grasses from running all over and completely covering the bottom of the tank? I want to put plants in but don't want stuff that will grow too fast. I plan to keep the stock lighting in the aquarium.

So far i have purchased the following:

Fluval Spec V Tanks
Hydor 25W Heater
Carib Sea Eco Complete in Black
Tetra Safe Start
Sea Chem Prime
API Masters Test Kit

Once i put down the Eco complete do i need to add a top layer of rock over that?

I would like to set this tank up using the TSS. Can i put in the plants while cycling the tank? With TSS i understand i shouldnt use the prime in the water is that correct? I would use the prime once the tank has been cycled for doing water changes and or topping off the tank correct?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I have enjoyed reading the forum and plan to continue reading. I think i am going to do a build thread as well.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the community I am a fellow newbie. Take it from me if your starting with a 5 it 10g tank your going to want to go bigger lol. I have a 10g tank right now that I got for turtles and quickly decided it was not no where near big enough. In the process now of getting a 55g tank. From I know of planted tanks make sure you are choosing low light plants if your staying with the stock light. Also stay with plants that require low co2. You can use sand as your top substrate or a finer gravel as long you have your fertilizer down as well don't over due the fertilizer as it can release toxic gas bubbles when there is too much. You should put your plants in while it is cycling as they can help speed up the process. Also a hardy fish in there can be beneficial do not stick though as good chance they will die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi MudHog
If you haven't bought the tank yet them I advice buying the biggest you can afford/accommodate. They are more stable and easier to maintain.
If you are planning on planting I should research low light level plants and some grasses simply won't do well in the low level light provided by the stock lighting. Plants in a tank can take more choosing than the fish. My tank is low level light and looks like this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406963762.040033.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom