Hello my name is Becky and I'm new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's dyed, just from some obscure part of the world lol. I'm in the uk so no idea where you will get sand from!!!! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awsome tank! Good luck. You picked a good place for advice. Can't wait to ses it's progress.

Petco has sand that is dyed and it will wear off to some degree.

CaribSea Naturals and Instant Aquarium are natural sands.

There is sand blasting sand commonly sold at ranch stores is actually coal slag as I understand it.

There are many different kinds if you go to a sand blasting sand supplier where they can show you different sand colors and tell you what they are made from.
This is where I got mine, at least you can look at different options. Home

They ship but of course that costs extra, so you can probably just find some place nearby you.

You want to make sure you don't get a sand made with (a material which contains copper in it, which would not be good for inverts.)

Here is a pic of sand made from real Garnets
60074-albums9763-picture65863.jpg

That is a beautiful tank! I love how you kept it natural but gave it a pop of color. Still a natural looking substrate.

I stopped in an exotic pet store today and found a really nice natural sand substrate. It is a little larger granule than I was looking for but I fell in love with it. I looked at the black sand and the pool filter sand and I really liked this one better. It has all different colors in it so muck and algae will not be noticeable. The brand is Carib sea inc instant tropical aquarium substrate. (Peace river) color.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412793542.899214.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412793566.369609.jpg

Aaaaaaaa!!!! I want to finish my tank now!!!! I'm selling my Treadmill on Craig's list and will be using that money for the tank. It's such a slow process. If the lady had enough substrate for me I could have started my hardscape already! Just venting thanks for listening! Lol!:)

Aaaaaaaa!!!! I want to finish my tank now!!!! I'm selling my Treadmill on Craig's list and will be using that money for the tank. It's such a slow process. If the lady had enough substrate for me I could have started my hardscape already! Just venting thanks for listening! Lol!:)

Yes the CaribSea Instant Aquarium has the useful bacteria. I don't think anyone really feels it is a Instant Aquarium here, but it doesn't seem to hurt. And any little bit helps.

Can you order it online? No problem :popcorn: waiting for you too, lol.

I got my canister filter today!!! From Petsmart National Geographic CF80 up to 80 gal. It's made by Eheim so I think it will be a good one.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412871339.040696.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412871351.584267.jpg

I also changed my mind on the substrate again. I got black moon sand. It sparkles and is all natrual no dye

I LOVE that one!!! Is it magnetic? Some black sand is, you might want to check and and see with a magnet, just in case you had wanted to use a magnet algae glass tank cleaner thing for the glass. If so, just to be sure to not get close to the bottom of the tank/sand and pick some up and scratch the glass.

Who doesn't love sparkles, lol!

Back
Top Bottom