Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello my name is Becky and I'm new.

I Think it's fair to say I'm new to proper fish keeping. Lol! I've had this built in 55 gallon for about 10 years. It's housed unsuccessful tropicals , ( back then i didn't know they needed a heater amongst many other mistakes) robo hamsters. I even rescued a very large gold fish from a foreclosed house down the street. The people just left it behind to die. I had no money at the time so I took large landscape rocks from my yard and purchased a filter. I had that fish for 6 years! I have a neighbor who is a hobby fish keeper and gave me more beautiful gold fish to add. I did filter changes once a month but failed to do proper water changes and when pets mart discontinued my filter and filter pads I didn't change the filter in time. I lost all of them all in one day! now I have an empty 55 gal wall tank and only a dream. I have done so much research and have become a bit obsessed with doing it right this time! My lack of funds has made me take my time. I'm not jumping into this and little by little This tank will be better than it ever was! I look forward to getting your advice and getting to know all of you!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412125157.897538.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	251429

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gorgeous tank and welcome!

Emerald76

Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I'm going planted tropical. I've been buying a little here a little there. I have to start all over. I'm going with a canister system this time.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good size tank, best of luck this time! 😊

Old 10-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I had that gorgeous tank, I would dream of the fish/ aquarium I wanted, but only but plants and substrate and the regular stuff, get it fully cycled and then think about what order to add my dream fish ( of course looking to make sure they are compatible). Oh I am so envious of your tank, just beautiful.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with all the above. The setting for your tank is wonderful. Plan it well and take your time. Surely fish-keeping is a long term hobby and should not be rushed. I take the same attitude as with my garden - it is always a work in progress. Best of luck and please update on your progress.
I run my 60g with two external canister filters, belt and braces , and two heaters. Worth a thought.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for your replies and advice! I plan on doing a video of me doing my first aqua scape on this tank. It will be a tittle while before I can do it though. I have 2 teenage girls and they seem to suck my funds dry every chance they get, lol!

Old 10-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I made a check list of the things I need and every payday I buy something and check it off my list. I got a net and thermometer last week. Woo hoo! I guess it's better than nothing lol! I found a heater by topfin from Petsmart on clearance for $17.57 45-65 gal I think that was a good deal!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I seriously need some advice on this one! I have a black water river that runs behind my neighborhood I found a beautiful pice if drift wood that I cut into 3 nice pieces. I have had it on my front porch for about 5 years in the Florida sun and rain. I really like it I want to put it in my tank. I plan to still prepare it with a boiling water bath or two but I fear it my still Tea my tank. I have read that tetra like this type of thing because it makes the water softer. I want a healthy tank but clarity is important to me too. I'm torn do I save money and use the drift wood I have and love or buy a commercial resin one? What are your thoughts? I'm almost positive it's Cyprus Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412363336.539825.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	251730

Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think Cyprus would be fine and the tannins will disappear after frequent water changes.

Emerald76

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com