Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

With that many fish frequent water changes are a must. I always do it when the house and outside plants need watering. Aquarium plants would really help. You can also put some house plant cuttings in the top and they will help take up the nitrates. The filters are doing their job changing the ammonia to nitrates but you have to remove those through plants and big water changes.
Last thought if you had a bacterial bloom (like many new tanks do) your ammonia would have spiked and eventually would have raised your nitrates.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As far as water changes go, how often and how much water do you recommend? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cleaning filter...

How long has it been since you cleaned the filter media? If you clean it frequently and use unconditioned tap water you are killing beneficial bacteria (BB) needed to make the waste convert so it is harmless.

If you haven't cleaned it in a while, them maybe you should. ONLY rinse the filter media in old tank water or conditioned/treated water to preserve as much BB as possible.

Possibly reduce feedings to half of the amount you normally feed each time and see if the numbers go down. Most people over feed the fish.

If your numbers start coming into line, then maybe you are over feeding.

Also check what kind of food you are using. Some have lots of fillers. Which don't do your fish or tank water any favors. Some better quality ones, I use Hikari, others like Spectrum, Omega One I think it is called.

Also do you vacuum the substrate when you do pwc, sucking out excess food and waste at the bottom. Also helpful!

Hope that helps.

Clean conditioned water/pwc is good to back in the right numbers.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great points autumnsky!
I would do 50 to 75 % every three or four days till the numbers come down. Then 25-30% once a week with a once a month 50% if your numbers call for it.
Cut back on feed a bit and see if that helps. I feed mine three small pinches and if its gone in a couple of minutes or they go after my bottom feeders they get a pinch or two more.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

I do vacuum the substrate every time I do a pwc. I have been doing about 20% a week recently. I just did about 20% and I have to go out of town for 3 days, but when I get back, I'll start doing some more pwc's and do some of the other thing everyone suggested. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #16

Just wanted to post an update. I got back and did two 50% water changes over two days and got the nitrates down to 15ppm. I'm going to watch them for the next few days and see how long it takes them to get back up, then I'll start doing changes accordingly. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you vaccuming your substrate? How old is the carbon in your filters? It is only good for 3-4 weeks. Rinsing and re-using it will not work either. The other problem is fish waste. Reduce feeding and vaccum your substrate with a 50% water change and your nitrates should drop pretty quickly.
Good luck.....Dwayne
Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's good news! Keep it up and you'll be fine.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #19

Yep. Did another pwc today and I now have the nitrates down to 5 ppm and all the other numbers are great.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep up the good work! Water changes are key. Reduce feeding and vacuum substrate. Everything should fall into place....but you have to do your part.
Dwayne

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Intro | new! »